here's my dilemma..

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

here's my dilemma..

Post by overdose » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:54 pm

My family is residing in a golf course type neighborhood with really decent ponds to fish, however.. there are no fishing signs everywhere.. I pay for homeowner's association fees to pay for the parks, maintenance.. etc.. shouldn't I be entitled to fish the ponds if i wanted to? I mean, i understand that rules are there to govern the parks and such but fishing? Really? I, like most bass fisherman, just fish for fun and practice catch and release and like every honest fisherman here, I pick up after myself.. what's the real harm? I think I'm going to bring it up to the homeowner's association board and see what they have to say.. anyone out there gone thru a similar experience? I think this is a load of bull crap!

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: here's my dilemma..

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:15 pm

There's an old saying goes something like,"It aint illegal if you dont get caught"...
lmao when I was a young fella,no place was safe...me and a few buddies actually snuck just about everywhere local worth sneaking,called ourselves the "pond pirates"..even had subdued color shirts made up.Had our own logo,our own motto on it as well-"You may not know us,but if you have a pond,we surely know you"....looking back it is funny as hell to me,and without delving too much into my past,it was the least of bad things I did...
But,that was a different time,and I am not advising anyone to go out and break laws.Just looking back mentally and having a chuckle.And please dont anyone get holier than thou on me,if you never snuck in a spot or two when you were in your teens,I'd have to think you are either lying or just weren't that into fishing at the time..just keeping it real.lol
In all seriousness,there is no good reason why you shouldn't be able to use the facilities as you please if you pay for use of same.Bring it up and see how it goes,making your intention clear that you will only fish during non-Golfing times(rain storms,night,etc.)...and if it doesn't work for some reason,there is always those nice full moon nights when you can see rather well without using a flashlight to get around..lmao
But most places will let you if you ask and conduct yourself properly.Doesn't hurt to have a kid with you when you ask either ;) ...
And if you do go sneakin about and catch a load of rock salt,dont blame it on me...lmfaoooooo
I'd be interested to know how many folks here have done some pond sneakin in their younger days,and which folks will just BS about it and say they haven't... 8-)
*flame proof suit currently donned*

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Lmao.. actually, i do a little pond hopping here and there.. there is actually a pond accross the street from me and I 've caught some decent size lmbs as well.. I don't see the harm in fishing if u catch and release and pick up after urself tho :(

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:24 pm

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission." Amazing Grace Hopper
;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:17 am

I would just ask the worst that will happen to you is they will say no. One of my former coworkers who is like 30 years old is an avid freshwater and saltwater fisherman and from Poland. He's only been in the country for like 12 years. Anyway he use to always tell me about him and one of his brothers sneaking across the Russian border to fish a lake. He said that they would get shot at with AK-47s when spotted but they kept coming back because the fishing was too damn good :laugh1: . My point is as long as you don't get shot at I would go anyway :big grin:

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:51 am

Ponds on the golf course? Most likely a liability deal, they don't want lawsuits when you get beaned by a errant golf shot I'd imagine.

That being said, I guess it depends on the course, because most of the ones I play I see people fishing them all the time.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:50 am

We snuck on to the local golf course at night. That place was awesome. We got greedy and started putting small boats in and eventually were kicked off enough times by the police that we couldnt play dumb anymore. My brother made a boat load of money one summer sneaking in at night and retrieving golf balls. He would go back during the day and sell them to the golfers. They got wise to that too and that ended as well. There reasoning for not allowing people (besides golfers) to be on the course or in the water was the big liability it presented. If someone got hurt, they could sue.

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks for all the replies fellas.. I understand that they wouldn't want a lawsuit but some ponds in the neighborhood are not even a part of the golf course, they are more like small parks with ponds.. to say no fishing is just plan greedy the way i see it :x

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:57 am

The rules aren't there to keep you off the ponds. They are there to protect themselves from being sued when a child or someone falls in and drowns. It is strictly a liability thing. The insurance costs would be huge if they allowed the ponds to be used for recreation. By saying no to everyone they are keeping association fees down.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 am

Agreed about the liability issue,and that's why I suggested that the man offers to only fish at non golfing times...there are a couple of private spots around here that allow folks to fish,but you have to actually sign a liability waiver...perhaps you could even type up something like that in advance to take with you,absolving folks of any legal issues should something bad happen to you.. :shock: even tho the odds are quite well against it..
Still would love to see some more sneakin tales..lmao dont make me break out the one about the trout hatchery,the state police,and the great train escape.... :lol: :lol: 8-)

dmat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dmat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:32 pm

I had my share of fence hoppin...golf pond sneakin and general trouble makin adventures as a younger lad that's for sure!

Some great times :whistle:

I would for sure talk to the HOA especially for the non-golf course ponds

good luck

Don

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:13 pm

i, along with a bajillion other people, fish our local private golf course pond, with it's "no fishing" sign all the time. i've only heard of one person ever asked (politely) to leave.

hsangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hsangler » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Im still a teen.. got a few ponds that i "shouldn't" be fishing, but man, have gotten some nice Bass from em over the past few years, just over the weekend we were fishin some of em

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:25 pm

fred roumbanis used to fish the golf course pond that i'm talking about when he was a kid.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 pm

The only thing I d sneak off into the middle of the night were teenage girlfriend rooms. I even would "borrow" a metal ladder from one of these "ladies" neighbors to get up to her bedroom window. :lol: :lol:

It was a different kind of night fishing I was into O:) I also had a close encounter with the local cops - with said ladder in hand-
I guess they thought I was gonna break in to some house- I told them the only thing I was stealing was Mr.X daughters virginity - they laughed and let me go. \:D/

Those were the days man.

I Digress.... ;) I say ask for what you want - but not in a public forum- if it is a liability issue you may shoot your chances in the foot if you ask publicly