Flipping

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Flipping

Post by joeim8 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Hello all,

When Flipping for Bass how are you suppose to hold/pinch the line between your fingers?

Should I be pinching it with my index finger and thumb and kind of guiding it to my target or should i be letting it glide threw my fingers/thumb somehow?

Thanks for any info

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Flipping

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 pm

neither, you shouldnt be touching the line beyond the reel at all.
you need to use your reel hand thumb to control the spool speed. its take practice, but it comes.
turn off your brakes and pitch with crisp, short motions. the longer the motion, and the slower, the more likely you are to deviate from a pattern, and your consistency will suffer.
like a golf swing, compact, smooth, and repeatable.
Set hard and set often

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:58 pm

BucketHunter wrote:neither, you shouldnt be touching the line beyond the reel at all.
you need to use your reel hand thumb to control the spool speed. its take practice, but it comes.
turn off your brakes and pitch with crisp, short motions. the longer the motion, and the slower, the more likely you are to deviate from a pattern, and your consistency will suffer.
like a golf swing, compact, smooth, and repeatable.
sorry, disregard. i though you said pitching.
some advice though? learn to pitch well enough that you don't have to flip. much easier.
cheers.
Set hard and set often

soua0363
Angler
Angler

Post by soua0363 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:40 pm

soua0363 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVNYuZHBLpk

This will help!
great video.

Though I have never had much desire for flipping, and typically default to pitch mode.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 pm

joeim8 wrote:Hello all,

When Flipping for Bass how are you suppose to hold/pinch the line between your fingers?

Should I be pinching it with my index finger and thumb and kind of guiding it to my target or should i be letting it glide threw my fingers/thumb somehow?

Thanks for any info
Hold the line loosely in your hand allowing the line to glide through with as little resistance as possible. How you hold the line isn't important, so long as the line glides through easily.

fishinjim
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishinjim » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:30 pm

For straight flipping, all you need is a curved index finger.
You dont want to hold or pinch the line at all.

Starter course...
Pull your line out from between the reel and the first guide.
Position the hand you are holding that line with so that it is almost straight up and down with your palm facing you.
Coming from the reel, your line should go across your palm and around your index finger, then cross back behind the rest of your fingers on the way back to the first guide.
Put a bend in your index finger to cradle the line and flip away.
All you want to do is let the line run along that finger as you flip.

Practice in the house or yard and youll have it down in no time.

The trickiest part about flipping is learning to keep your line from wrapping around your reel handle.
Youll need to be constantly aware of the potential for this to happen when first learning, but avoiding it will become second nature as you practice more.
Keeping your reel as close to a 90 degree angle as possible when flipping will help with this too.