Flip Straight shank or Ewg Hooks?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Flip Straight shank or Ewg Hooks?

Post by KillaBass » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:47 pm

well when i wanna flip or pitch a plastic im been using the gama superline ewg hook this whole past season..but i hear alot of straight shank hooks working better since the point of the hook is not lined up with the eye..tell me when u guys think..and what u use
https://www.youtube.com/@KeePReeLing

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Flip Straight shank or Ewg Hooks?

Post by steve1206 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:34 pm

I absolutely love the Gama EWG Superline hook. I use it on worms, brush hogs, lizards, tubes, etc. That being said I lost a ton of fish with that hook and a sweet beaver when the bait first came out...and now like a straight shank for it, but don't throw it much. Straight shanks hooks are all the rage and the sales pitch of it's physics makes sense....but I haven't experimented with it much on other baits.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Widegap straight shank unless I'm flippin a tube then I'll use a offset EWG hook.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:54 pm

With the straight shank its the ability to tie a snell knot, which if tied correctly
increases the hook up ratio. I only ultilize this method and have found that I like
welded eyelets because of this. The Paychec hooks are great and so are the Gamma's
that recently came out for flippn
Although I pretty much use only owner hooks for all of my bass fishing their lack of a welded
eyelet presencted some problems for me. I ended up placing some heat shrink tubbing over the
eye with a sewing needle through the eye and the heat shrink. When I would heat it up the heat
shrink would fast to the shank of the hook and eyelet but I would have a hole to which I could
pull my line through. Of all I've heard about superline hooks for flippin, people that use them will
offset them but they still don't have the high hook up ratio as the snelled straight shanks.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:28 am

Generally, straight-shank will stick more fish initially.

EWG will keep them buttoned up better during the fight (but so will the barb). Also penetrates easier.

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 am

yea that makes sense..so should i just stick with a ewg hook?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:49 pm

I only use an EWG hook on worms, Senkos, and jerkbaits. Any time that I'm flipping I'll use a straight shank flipping hook like the Punch Hook or the new Gamakatsa one. I always snell the hook and I get great hook ups.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:58 am

I prefer the straight shank. I believe I catch more fish with it.

artiea
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by artiea » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:12 pm

flipping an pitching I went to straight shank-amazing with a two handed set with heavy line in heavy cover

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 pm

ok..i guess ill try it out

JLP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JLP » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Ewg hooks for bulky baits.

QuitLookinAtMyItos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by QuitLookinAtMyItos » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:14 am

godshippy wrote:I only use an EWG hook on worms, Senkos, and jerkbaits. Any time that I'm flipping I'll use a straight shank flipping hook like the Punch Hook or the new Gamakatsa one. I always snell the hook and I get great hook ups.
This statement basically sums up my view of which hook should be used and when it should be used. :D
JDM quality is unsurpassed. Period.

FloridaBass
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FloridaBass » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:05 pm

I agree with that statement too. I have tried both and while the straight shank has a better hook up ratio, you will go through twice as many plastics. I have used the superline ewg hooks and they have worked well. I got sick of getting one fish per bait.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:02 pm

Gama superline ewg with braid. Regular ewg with flouro. I used to use a straight shank with braid but I now use mostly bulky baits where a ewg works better.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:29 pm

FloridaBass wrote:I agree with that statement too. I have tried both and while the straight shank has a better hook up ratio, you will go through twice as many plastics.
I agree 100%. Straight shanks will tear through plastics like nothing. You can't flip/pitch/punch all day and not get bit and have the same plastic at the end of the day. I try to use straight shanks in high percentage areas and that's it otherwise I use widegaps. The whole concept of snelling a straight shank makes sense but I find it that EWG's work just as good.