Orvis online sale!

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Orvis online sale!

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:28 pm

VERY good sale going on right now, not enough posts to post this in the Hot Deals section so if anyone wants to feel free. They are giving an ADDITIONAL 20% off sale items during checkout, meaning a $525 Hydros rod on sale for $295 only comes out to $236!

Seems they're making way for 2012's lineup with some very great pricing.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_dire ... t_id=12022

Just ordered a 10' 7 wt Hydros for $236 before shipping and tax, amazing prices for these rods. Every fly angler I talk to says Orvis makes some of the best rods in the industry. I haven't fished it yet so I don't know but I have very high hopes as I've recently purchased a mid-arbor Access and absolutely love it.

Things to look out for...

Gen 3 Wonderline WF lines are on sale, $31!!!
Clearwater II are as low as $95!
Super Strong leaders are less than $2 PER leader when ordered in bulk ($6 shipping is the only negative but STILL very cheap!!)
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_dire ... t_id=12022

The prices advertised on the page BEFORE the additional 20% off, happy buying!

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Orvis online sale!

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:32 pm

I have actually been thinking of picking up a fly setup and learning how to cast, now I might just have to pull the trigger. Thanks for posting! \:D/

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:53 am

i_am_R2 wrote:I have actually been thinking of picking up a fly setup and learning how to cast, now I might just have to pull the trigger. Thanks for posting! \:D/
I held a Hydros at my local fly shop last night, VERY good feel. Noticeably lighter than others in the same wt range for sure. Getting mine from UPS today after work, can't wait! Make sure to jump on the stuff before the 8th, as you can get that extra 20% off sale items until then. Good luck and hope you get into fly fishing, I did this year and absolutely love it.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks! I ended up researching all night what would work best and looking at the site for hours, eventually "had" to take the plunge and pick up the 795 Clearwater II combo.

This may not be the typical use for this kind of setup but during certain times of the year, the trout at a local reservior just go nuts for days at a time during the seasonal fly hatches and won't go after anything else and I think to myself "if I only knew how to fly fish this would be the best topwater bite ever" haha.

Hopefully I can get the technique all sorted out and catch some this year. Thanks again and happy fishing with your new rod!

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Good deals!

Recently got into fly fishing (but don't really need another combo YET :lol:... wish I did though).

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:09 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:Thanks! I ended up researching all night what would work best and looking at the site for hours, eventually "had" to take the plunge and pick up the 795 Clearwater II combo.

This may not be the typical use for this kind of setup but during certain times of the year, the trout at a local reservior just go nuts for days at a time during the seasonal fly hatches and won't go after anything else and I think to myself "if I only knew how to fly fish this would be the best topwater bite ever" haha.

Hopefully I can get the technique all sorted out and catch some this year. Thanks again and happy fishing with your new rod!
They're a VT based company, and I live in VT. The rods are hand made right here in VT! I'm proud to fish Orvis products and just got the rod today. All I can say is-WOW! This thing is beautifully built and it feels perfect. Light in the hand even at 10'...I got the 7-9 wt Access reel for Xmas and they pair well together. I think even the Clearwater II's have the 25-year guarantee. If they break you get a replacement/fix no questions asked!

Another thing to look into are the Super Strong leaders. They've some of the best on the market and are on sale for super cheap. On top of that, look into the Mirage tippet material...it's great for spooky fish as it's fluoro. Try not to use regular fluoro for your tippet or leader as it is not as dense as Mirage and might not sink, meaning the fish will see the outline of it on top of the water.

I'll be on the water tomorrow for some Steel to test out this rod, good luck in your fly fishing endeavors and send me a PM if you need help! I don't know a ton but most of the basics!

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Have been able to use my Hydros recently for a few days, no fish landed but I will say the rod is just amazing...it becomes one with my arm when I'm throwing heavy rigs and it's so sensitive I can feel a BB sized splitshot hit bottom 50 ft out when fishing without an indicator..this rod is simply amazing. The finish on it its spectacular and in the sunlight it looks stunning! Great triangular cordura case means no more rolling off of things as well. Perfect load for large fish even though it's a 7 wt. I can see 20 LB Steelhead being landed on this 7 wt...great deal I'm very glad I went for it.

mtowner23
Angler
Angler

Post by mtowner23 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:00 pm

I wish I had seen this earlier! I would have loved to pick up an Orvis Hydros rod for under $250. I sent them a message and they can't offer the 20% discount today... Still good prices on what they're still going for.

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:30 pm

mtowner23 wrote:I wish I had seen this earlier! I would have loved to pick up an Orvis Hydros rod for under $250. I sent them a message and they can't offer the 20% discount today... Still good prices on what they're still going for.
It's a great rod...a good 25 year investment too. I can't wait to see the kinds of rods they come out with 5 years from now! It's good to know they'll have an even better rod to replace my Hydros with if it ever breaks...

mtowner23
Angler
Angler

Post by mtowner23 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:33 am

I checked again last night, and the Clearwater II rods that are 2 piece and under 10ft are still $95 at checkout. Everything is is the sale price as shown. Most of the mid flex Hydros are gone and I only have small water to fish in around here, so they won't work too well.

Still on the fence about getting a Clearwater II. There are some good choices left for all-around rods. If only they had a #4-#6 weight rated reel on sale. You could make a really nice set up for fairly cheap.

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:36 pm

mtowner23 wrote:I checked again last night, and the Clearwater II rods that are 2 piece and under 10ft are still $95 at checkout. Everything is is the sale price as shown. Most of the mid flex Hydros are gone and I only have small water to fish in around here, so they won't work too well.

Still on the fence about getting a Clearwater II. There are some good choices left for all-around rods. If only they had a #4-#6 weight rated reel on sale. You could make a really nice set up for fairly cheap.
Small water as in 3 wt water? There's a 3 wt mid flex still avail....the Clearwater II's look very nice as well. I couldn't seem to find many negative things about the Clearwater series. If you jump on it let me know how it is! I'm in love with my Hydros..