River Monsters vs The Hunt for Big Fish

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: River Monsters vs The Hunt for Big Fish

Post by Nytron » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Jeremy Wade needs to work on his casting techniques. I recall an episode where he was fishing overhanging trees and he could barely perform an underhand cast and was unable to get the bait way under the tree.

He seems to be well equipped when it comes to terminal tackle, but the rod and reel choices could be better as well.

It would be awesome to have someone with some elite casting skills to host a fishing show like this.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am

I agree with you guys on River Monsters. Jeremy makes it seem like every fish is Jaws. Please...these are primarily freshwater fish he's going after.

gordoleo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gordoleo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:39 pm

I enjoy watching River Monsters, but I much prefer The Hunt for Big Fish. My favorite fishing shows of all time were the Walkers Cay Chronicles, and my brother and I actually got to fish with one of Flip Pallot's long time friends in one of his skiffs. The result of that trip was our families first ever tarpon. My family made annual trips to the keys because of that show.

clipper1955
Angler
Angler

Post by clipper1955 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Wade's bait fishing technique sucks...I don't know if he does it on purpose to show the bitten-in-half bait in hopes of impressing the gullible, or because he really doesn't understand the concept of letting the quary actually swallow the bait...

bigfish85
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish85 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:58 pm

How is this even a question? Larry is THE MAN.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:14 am

OK...to clarify things a little...the shows really belong in two different catagories, not in the same segment, or on the same channel. River monsters is really more of a "mainstream" show, that just happens to involve fishing. Most of it is theatrics and cinematography to bring an enhanced sense of drama to the show, so it will appeal to your average joe who doesn't fish. Hunt for Big Fish is a fishing show, with a real fisherman, for real fishermen.

I can't hate on Wade, he got paid to fish, and probably got paid big. I also like that he shows you how the indigenous cultures he visits fish, it's kind of interesting. Plus his show makes more people interested in fishing.

But yea, for real fishermen, hunt for big fish is where its at.