TROKAR dropped the price in their hooks! 6.99 at TW

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: TROKAR dropped the price in their hooks! 6.99 at TW

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Bassboss wrote:Took a quiz at trokar.com, and became a member of team trokar and got free pack of hooks and some other goodies.

Maybe if I like em enough I'll by a few packs! ;)
i find this hard to believe since trokar.com is a media marketing site lol.....
Set hard and set often

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:27 am

I purchased a few packs of the Trokar Flippin hooks because I needed the straight shank plus plastic barb for punching and nothing else available locally. Paying $2.50 per hook is minimal considering what I have invested in everything else. Did order Paycheck Hooks (original RI hooks) that come with the surgical barbs but you have to put them on yourself.

From other reviews it would appear the old BMF hook is a better choice and you get 5 per pack of $7 something. Being better is why i would pick them. Having said all that, if the Trokar point is as durable as others and one doesn't feel like carrying a lighter to attach the surgical barbs then the price difference between the Paychack and the Trokar is acceptable even at the original $9.99.

For all other hook styles I use Gami and Owner because I percieve them to be better and not necessarily cheaper. Honestly, $2.50 per hook is not crazy considering some swimbaits cost $85 bucks. You have to pay to play and I just buy the best for the tech at hand, regardless of price so long as I can afford it. Now, is Trokar the best? If not then price discount don't make a difference either.

As for hype creating demand and higher price perception that it's better. Ok, that's business. If an Eskimo is willing to pay me $100 buck for ice I'm peddling as the best ever created then why shouldn't I sell it to them? Free Market is awesome. If you don't agree with that then don't buy the hype. :lol:

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:55 am

damian_megabass wrote:Who can justify paying $20 for hooks :roll: .........only a "dumb" person would. Owner and Gammy's have great hooks with great materials and they are priced right with the market.

Even at that price I'll pass on Trokar. I'll stick to Owner and Gammy's.
Owners and Gammys are way over priced also. I made some jigs for a few guys that insisted on Gamakatsu hooks so I made them what they wanted and I also made them a couple of free jigs to try made with a new Gamakasu hook(Mustad ultra point). Guess what? They liked that new Gamakatsu hook so much they wanted all their future jigs to have that hook, that was until I told them it was a Mustad, now they don't beleive me but when I showed them the box they were amazed that the hook were as good as what the ones they were spending 60% more on. I make jigs using the owner 5304 deep throat jig hook and some I use the Gamakatsu 2014 EWG jig hook and to tell you the truth, the Mustad jig hooks are just as sharp and 90% of you couldn't tell the difference if I laid all tha manufacturers hooks on a table and told you to pick out the brand you're loyal to. I work with hooks all the time and I've found very few, maybe 1-500 that can tell the difference and I'm not exaggerating. Have any of you fished with any of the Eagle Claw BP (black pearl) finish? Do any of you know that they even exist? I have had people thank me for making them jigs with quality hook and not junk eagle claws when they were actually fishing with an eagle claw hook but didn't know it. Buy a Gamakatsu hook, you pay for hype, buy owner pay for hype, in fact just about anything you buy there is a certain amout of hype but what you have to ask yourself is it worth it to you. To call someone "dumb" for paying top dollar for a hook they want is wrong, it is the same as me saying, anyone who thinks Gamakatsu and Owner have a justified price because they use better materials then others is just plain stupid! All manufacturers use the same high carbon steel, the diference is the fisnish, nothing more.
Barlow's Tackle

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Bassboss wrote:Took a quiz at trokar.com, and became a member of team trokar and got free pack of hooks and some other goodies.

Did you actually receive it already? I took the quiz and didn't get it yet :( I didn't even see any confirmation saying that you're going to receive a package??

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Trokars commercials are so over the top that I just cant take the product seriously. Skeet was acting like a ninja wielding a katana! :lol:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:14 pm

godshippy wrote:

Did you actually receive it already? I took the quiz and didn't get it yet :( I didn't even see any confirmation saying that you're going to receive a package??
I just got mine, YOU NEED TO PASS the quiz and make a profile . I got a catalog, pen, patch, decal, poster and a pack of 3/0 HD worm hooks (6).
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

shimanoangler12
Angler
Angler

Post by shimanoangler12 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:09 pm

I did the trokar quiz too and got the hooks etc. Would I ever spend 6.99 on a pack of them, heck no! But I'll take anything that's free.

And yes i did actually receive it, but it did take a couple weeks. I was starting to think they weren't going to send them when I finally received the package.

dan668
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dan668 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:21 pm

i did the quiz. got stickers, pack of hooks, cap.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:52 pm

I just did their quiz & was gonna use my 20% off code to buy some swimbait hooks to try, but they still have their price at $9.99, so I'll pass.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:35 am

Personally I will not touch a Trokar hook again :(
A six pounder mangled my spinnerbait hook.One fish and throw away :evil:
Attachments
trokar2.jpg
trokar2.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
trokar1.jpg
trokar1.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
Happiness is a sore thumb

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:21 pm

Got my hooks today, size 3 HD worm hooks. Also came with a hat and stickers.
Instagram @___bradb

mattfish11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mattfish11 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:59 pm

I took that Trokar quiz, passed, became a trokar member (whatever that means) and received a care package with hooks, a patch, etc...

Those hooks still haven't made it to the boat, let alone the water, let alone catch a fish. Probably end up throwin them out. Gammy and Mustad is what I use most the time - i'm happy with them!

1blubyu
Angler
Angler

Post by 1blubyu » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:09 am

I just received a pack of the TK-190 4/0 Tube Hooks. I was looking for something to use with Beavers. The standard straight shank flipping hooks were great, but the soft plastics were shot after a couple of fish.

I went with the TK-190 in hopes that the barb would hold the bait, but the hook (hopefully) will allow the baits to last a bit longer. We shall see if my assumption is correct.