Use drag or Not?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Use drag or Not?

Post by Snyder Rods » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:59 am

Unless the rod is as stiff as a pool cue, the drag won't work properly on a baitcaster... the line will typically hit the blank between some of the tip guides when bent, and the friction there will stop the line.

In many cases you will need a spiral-wrapped rod for the drag to work properly on a baitcaster. Or, you'll need to go to a spinning rod.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Snyder Rods wrote:In many cases you will need a spiral-wrapped rod for the drag to work properly on a baitcaster. Or, you'll need to go to a spinning rod.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:04 pm

mhood wrote:
Snyder Rods wrote:In many cases you will need a spiral-wrapped rod for the drag to work properly on a baitcaster. Or, you'll need to go to a spinning rod.

- The line will hit the blank when it bends under pressure (normal rod, guides on top)... this will effectively increase the drag. Try it.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:28 pm

You're going to cut yourself splitting all those hairs. ;)

I've tried it lots of times...I call it fishing. :big grin:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:26 pm

Snyder Rods wrote:- The line will hit the blank when it bends under pressure (normal rod, guides on top)... this will effectively increase the drag. Try it.
Never had any issues as such. :-k
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Spot King
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Spot King » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:
Snyder Rods wrote:- The line will hit the blank when it bends under pressure (normal rod, guides on top)... this will effectively increase the drag. Try it.
Never had any issues as such. :-k
Yup, a good rod that has enough guides and are wrapped on the spine; won't have that problem with the line touching. Now a cheap rod, fewer guides; might. I have some older rods and if you bend them; the line will actually go under the blank. LOL My newer rods, quality rods; don't do that.

As for using the drag, it depends. Spinning rod, light line; I fish a light drag and use it. Baitcasters, tighter drag; don't use it. If a fish makes a run, I'll click the thumb bar down, keep my thumb on the spool; and use thumb pressure as the drag. Or if I'm using heavy enough gear, I'll have the drag locked or close to it; and just grind them in. We all fish for different reasons. Mine's not for the fight.

:big grin:
What my name is?

Fishn_Fatboy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fishn_Fatboy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:16 pm

I use the drag but on the light side. Its not hard to tightn it up if need be. I agree it is there for a reason
Dan Whicker
usmc 0331

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:03 am

Spot King wrote:Baitcasters, tighter drag; don't use it. If a fish makes a run, I'll click the thumb bar down, keep my thumb on the spool; and use thumb pressure as the drag. Or if I'm using heavy enough gear, I'll have the drag locked or close to it; and just grind them in. We all fish for different reasons. Mine's not for the fight. :big grin:
Spot King IMHO if you ever hook that fish of a lifetime and she decides to stop, change direction and make a run for it. You won’t have enough time to click the thumb bar and thumb the spool to fight the fish. The fight will be over, either you’ll win or the fish will get away by breaking off or the hook will pull out. Second thought it’s pretty hard to push the thumb bar down while theirs a lot of pressure on the drag. Seems so easy to me to use enough drag to fight the fish and use your thumb to lock it down or add more pressure, why chance it? :idea:
Rods & Reels Excite me!

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by db220 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:17 pm

For baitcasting equipment and heavy line with largemouth I usually use a tight drag. When it's a big striper I lighten up the drag and use it.

BASSFIEND
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BASSFIEND » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:34 pm

For all those who crank down on the drag...remember to loosen it back again before you store the reel,or you will be damaging the drag and its lifespan(baitcasters) There are those who back reel on a spinning setup but that was never my thing.The spinning reels I use all have top notch drag systems and it would seem a waste to me to not use them.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:57 am

I like mine pretty loose...like 2-3 pounds no matter what I'm fishing. IF it's in the slop, it's to protect my reel on the hookset. If it's when I'm moving bait fishing, it's to keep the fish from throwing hooks because I pull too hard.

Either way, it's what I've found works best for me.

(making mental note as to the users who lock theirs down and fish braid...calculate new gearset into any trades... :big grin: )