Favorite dropshot weight

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Favorite dropshot weight

Post by joeim8 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:54 am

For rocky structure?

Tungsten/Lead?
Shape?

gfabbri
Angler
Angler

Re: Favorite dropshot weight

Post by gfabbri » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm pretty new to DS, but fishing a rocky bottom with tungsten stick-shaped weights, I went through a pack of 5 in a couple of hours. Switched to tungsten "pears" and lost zero in a couple outings at the same spot.

-G

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:39 pm

After 5 years of doing lots of drop shot fishing in a rocky river for smallmouth bass, and trying most commercially available sinkers, I have settled on using the same system that steelhead fishermen have used for decades. I use hollow lead wire. It comes in several diameters and is inexpensive. I cut to the amount of weight I want, run my line through the hole and peg it with a toothpick. I usually tie a single overhand knot to stop slipping. I then bend the lead into a shallow U shape, and go fishing. Rock snags are almost all gone. You can get this lead wire through most major tackle suppliers (Cabela's, etc) and most tackle shops where there are steelhead fishermen.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:57 pm

DS is one of the few applications I don't throw expensive weights at, Especially around rock. The main thing I'm looking for when DSing rocks is that the weight remains in contact with the rock, I don't need to feel every crack just the pressure of the weight up against the rock.
My favorite so far, mainly because of the price but also because of feel are the Voss Drop Shot Weights.

But after reading ROG's post, I will probably just start doing that.
MegabassUSA.com

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:59 pm

I second the recommendation on the "pear" tungsten shaped weights in rocky structure...
People have advised me to use the skinny stick shaped drop shot weights, however
I still lost quite a few in the rocks. the feel and sensitivity of tungsten also
helps quite a bit in determining structure transitions too...

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Whatever is on sale and in 1/8 oz.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:24 pm

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/West_Coa ... -WCQD.html

I read an article from GYCB on these weights and so far so good.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:39 am

I've had the opposite experience. I started with the pear shaped weights and got hung up constantly. I switched to the pencil weights and have lost fewer weights. The key for me is to go with the lightest weight I can get away with. I've been using mojo weights, either the pineapple downshot or their dropshot weight (which is basically what ROG uses, a thin pencil weight but with a thin wire inside that you slide you line into. If you hang up, you pull and you save your rig and only lose the lead weight).

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:39 pm

I use the skinny drop shot weights I buy off the auction website.

SonnyL
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by SonnyL » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Over the years of fishing D-shot rigs, I have lost my fair share of sinlers on rocks. Recently I found a sinker that works very well on rocky areas. It looks like the VMC switch it slip sinker. I can say that when I started using these sinkers, I have managed to stay untangled with the rocks more than 50% of the time.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:09 pm

The River2Sea Tungsten Tear Drop Shot Sinker have been my favorite for quite a few year now.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:18 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:After 5 years of doing lots of drop shot fishing in a rocky river for smallmouth bass, and trying most commercially available sinkers, I have settled on using the same system that steelhead fishermen have used for decades. I use hollow lead wire. It comes in several diameters and is inexpensive. I cut to the amount of weight I want, run my line through the hole and peg it with a toothpick. I usually tie a single overhand knot to stop slipping. I then bend the lead into a shallow U shape, and go fishing. Rock snags are almost all gone. You can get this lead wire through most major tackle suppliers (Cabela's, etc) and most tackle shops where there are steelhead fishermen.
you are a wealth of knowledge Thank you.

I know alot of guys who fish the same rocky rivers as myself that swear by flattening the cylinder shaped DS weights in a vise. They say it cuts down on snags. I've tried it but don't DS enough to have a strong opinion on it. Every year I say I'm gonna do this more. Maybe I'll stick to that this year.

wsunweed
Angler
Angler

Post by wsunweed » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Hands down the stick/pencil style in lead. You can get 100 ea. for 20$ on ebay through seller crawdad1234. They go down very fast, and do not snag as bad as the round or teardrop. I love tungsten but you do not need it for this application due to the build of the rod you should be fishing.

The money you save on the sinker will afford your the proper rod.

Get yourself a Lamiglas Certified Pro XPS 702 and feeling bottom will never be a problem with a lead Drop Shot sinker.

bigfish85
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish85 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Before reading all the responses, I was going to say the bps stick style weights...they're all I use. But after reading some of the other responses, I might switch. The one drawback to the stick style weights are definitely the hang ups

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Reel Old Geezer wrote:After 5 years of doing lots of drop shot fishing in a rocky river for smallmouth bass, and trying most commercially available sinkers, I have settled on using the same system that steelhead fishermen have used for decades. I use hollow lead wire. It comes in several diameters and is inexpensive. I cut to the amount of weight I want, run my line through the hole and peg it with a toothpick. I usually tie a single overhand knot to stop slipping. I then bend the lead into a shallow U shape, and go fishing. Rock snags are almost all gone. You can get this lead wire through most major tackle suppliers (Cabela's, etc) and most tackle shops where there are steelhead fishermen.
I use stick style as well as the hollow core lead. I may or may not be a steelheader :lol:
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm