rod and reel recommendations

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
kipper16
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

rod and reel recommendations

Post by kipper16 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:58 am

I'm looking for some good advice on what kind of rod and reel to get for Bass and Walleye. Trying to stay under a hundred bucks.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: rod and reel recommendations

Post by steve1206 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:57 am

This could be a long one....I'll let you decide what length/power/action you want unless you want to provide additional info. However, in this price range, some sticks to look at include:

Shimano Compre--would probably be my pick on the spinning side
Abu Garcia Veritas--would probably be my pick on the casting side
Falcon BuCoo
Temple Fork (TFO)--not my favorite
St. Croix Mojo
E21 Carrot Stix Wild

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Thu May 05, 2011 12:57 am

I have a bucoo really like it, have heard good things about the compre as well, for spinning reels i would go with a medium grade shimano just some ideas :idea:

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu May 05, 2011 3:26 am

You didn't specify whether you wanted spinning or bait-casting.

Regardless, at a $100 price point for both, I'd be looking at a Bass Pro Shop or a Cabelas combo. They do sell a number of them under the $100 mark and usually you'd be spending more if purchased the rod and reel separately.

On the Cabelas site I'd probably grab the Exceler or Megaforce as bait-casting combos. Have handled both reels and they appear to be well made and priced right. Certainly not top end but serviceable. Abu Black Max Combos appear to be a reasonable value also.

Spinning they have a Pfluegar Arbor on sale. As a disclaimer, I do not fish Spinning gear, but Cabelas spinning combos list many of the main stream manufacturers. Others may be able to steer you towards a decent inexpensive sinning combo.

Hope this helps a bit :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Thu May 05, 2011 3:48 am

I highly recommend getting a Mitchell 308 spinning reel. For 40 bucks you can't beat these spinning reels, and since you want one reel for walleye and bass you should deffinately get a spinning reel. At cabelas you can get this reel along with a nice cabelasrod in a combo for around $70. And i have to say that even though i have rod and reel set ups over $300 i still find myself useing my mitchell and for some applications.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 pm

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-T ... 3/-1556749

Id go with 7' MH for a pretty "well-rounded" combo...
stress-what happens between fishing trips

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Sorry, I went all rods...For a combo at that price, I think you are gonna have to go house brand..Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc.

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Fri May 13, 2011 1:14 pm

bass pro carbonlite rod and reel, and another reel is the bass pro, pro qualifier, this reel gets very good reviews.

fshrfwl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshrfwl » Fri May 20, 2011 11:20 am

Gonna be tough at the price. Like above look at Bass Pro brands. I would really consider going up to 150-200 and looking at shimano products like the Compre and Canean. Wait for a sale or use a $20 off coupon at Cabelas to help a little