spoons

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
bassdawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

spoons

Post by bassdawg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:41 pm

I want to try some spoons this year so i was looking at Stinger spoons an also Luhr Jensen spoons . So what are some ideas as how do you fish them ? Thanks for your input .

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Re: spoons

Post by Tomhdez » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:17 pm

I like pot-o-gold spoons in rainbow trout pattern. I like a semi slow retrieve with a 3-1o'clock jerk every few handle turns. I also buy plain (silver or gold) store brand spoons an then raid my wife's nail polish drawer for whatever color pattern I can come up with, for a budget alternative.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Sun May 01, 2011 12:37 am

what are you planning on targeting with them? What size line? A little background on your fishing eqpt and situations would be helpful.

bassdawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassdawg » Sun May 01, 2011 1:18 am

Thanks for your input , i like to fish for bass,pike an muskies but mainly bass . I use a Mojo 7 ft medium action ,also a med heavy with a Abu Garcia revo stx . I like power pro in 30 pound .

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun May 01, 2011 5:02 pm

I run typical ACME Kastmasters, Krocodile, Johnson Weedless Spoons, Eppinger Daredevle's. Methods are mostly just dumb straight slow retrieves, but sometimes the old jig'n free fall flutter gets the bites instead.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Phantasy_Fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Phantasy_Fishing » Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 pm

When I require a smaller spoon, I normally use acme kastmasters. When I need to go a bit bigger, I somehow have become fond of mepps syclops. Some people hate the mepps syclops, but I like them. When I am lazy, I just retrieve them straight. When I am a bit more adventurous, I usually retrieve them back while jigging and pausing them to impart some fluttering action. If you fish in a spot where you think the fish holding close to the bottom, you could let the spoon sink to bottom. Then work the spoon back by jigging it close to the bottom. I would only do this if the area seems to be safe from snags. One observation I have made is that white bass love acme kastmasters. Northern pike love mepps syclops.
In Pursuit of The Ultimate Fishing Experience...!!!