What backpack use ?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What backpack use ?

Post by adriancean » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:44 am

What backpack (bag) use on fishing trips? To carry hardbaits, soft baits, etc. .... When you go to the riverside ...I'm looking for a durable backpack, where I can put some 3600 or even 3700 size boxes and some accessories..
Until next time....Tight Lines!

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Re: What backpack use ?

Post by Tomhdez » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:48 pm

I use this backpack
http://cabelas.digby.com/shops/web/cabe ... ndorId=101

there is a really nice lake here it's a five mile hike and a thousand feet worth of elevation change! This backpack has a 2l bladder. Thick straps to distribute weight comfortably. And enough space for fishing gear and food. It's held up well over the last year and a half. It's a bit bigger than I would like but ive never had to leave anything that I couldn't carry (this includes a foldable camp chair)!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 am

While I don't have one (William Joseph pack) I do have three packs from their sister company. WJ packs are geared more towards the fly angler, but certainly aren't limited to that. http://www.williamjoseph.net/ If/when I need a pack/vest for fishing, I'll be looking at them.

I've got 3 packs from their sister company Badlands. OUTSTANDING hunting packs with a lifetime warranty. I used my warranty once on some stitching that was coming loose in a high stress area. It was only just starting and I wanted some "preventative medicine". No questions asked, it was taken care of. My main pack just blew a zipper last weekend on my most used compartment and as soon as I'm not using that pack on a weekly basis, I'll send it in for a repair too.

My main pack gets used every weekend. I run a string of 8 trail cameras on a 160 acres piece of property. My pack carries all my gear and clothes I might need for the day. The compartment that blew its zipper carries all my AA batteries and memory cards, so I open that zipper a minimum of 8 times a week from late August thru early June. +90°F to -30°F. Sun, rain, sleet, snow, ice.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 am

Can you recommend a good backpack from Cabelas? I will use it only to fishing, to transport some boxes with hardbaits ...

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:55 am

The Shimano Blackmoon is a GREAT fishing pack. It also has a small cooler section big enough for a sandwich and drink if necessary. But I don't know if they still make them anymore. I had one a few years ago and it was one of those things I really wish I had never sold.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:29 pm

I have two backpacks....a TW backpack and a BPS backpack. I prefer the TW more because it's more sturdy and I can fit my swimbait box in main compartment. I take the BPS backpack if I'm going to be out all weekend. This thing fits 4 3600 boxes at the bottom and 3 more on top....not a great idea to carry a lot as it's heavy as ish. :lol:
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mike_honcho » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:36 am

damian_megabass wrote:I have two backpacks....a TW backpack and a BPS backpack. I prefer the TW more because it's more sturdy and I can fit my swimbait box in main compartment. I take the BPS backpack if I'm going to be out all weekend. This thing fits 4 3600 boxes at the bottom and 3 more on top....not a great idea to carry a lot as it's heavy as ish. :lol:

I agree with "damian_megabass" the BPS backpack is pretty good. I have been using mine for about 2 years now and if you are just using it for a short outing its perfect. You can fit alot of tackle in there but it can fill up quick especially if you organize your tackle by shallow - medium - deep.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:36 am

I just use my old backpack from college.....it fits 8 3700s and about 20 bags of plastics and I clip pliers to the handle on the top...
stress-what happens between fishing trips

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:58 am

Under Armour and The North Face have quality backpacks?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 am

yah mine is an Eddie Bauer I got on sale like 6 years ago...works perfectly..both for classwork and fishing :lol:

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:06 am

One of these I would like to take but I do not know how spacious they are ... http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeIma ... Id=1218804 or http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeIma ... 172_003_01 .

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:08 am

the north face looks like it would work well...the under armor looks a little small..

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:57 am

http://www.camelbak.com/Military-Tactic ... -Mule.aspx

this pack fits everything i need to hit a couple of local ponds. bladder compartment is insulated its very durable & guaranteed for life.

My plastics go in one of the falcon worm bags.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:03 pm

I use the Browning backpack sold by BPS.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:41 pm

adriancean wrote:One of these I would like to take but I do not know how spacious they are ... http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeIma ... Id=1218804 or http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeIma ... 172_003_01 .

If you could post what the volume is then I could give you a better idea of how much room that actually is. It should be listed in either liters or cubic inches in their descriptions. Also I know you said "some" 3600 and 3700 boxes but exactly how many do you wanna carry? I have to pack in everything in the reservoir I fish and I use a Gregory Z55 which is 60 liters (3660 cu.in.). This is a decent sized pack though and I probably over stuff it but the harness and suspension are outstanding. I never realized how good a pack can feel until I got that one a few years back.

Even though I don't think you need something this big, here is what I carry in mine. All boxes are Falcon FTO, 3 large crankbait boxes, hook and sinker box, jig box, spinnerbait/buzzbait box, suspending jerkbait box. 2 Falcon speed bags for plastics and a 3rd for scale, forceps, multitool, oils, lubes, bug sprays and stuff like that. Then on top of that I pack in an Eagle portable fishfinder, food, water, clothing/rain gear for me and my 2 sons. That's just on my back, don't ask about what's in my hands :lol: