A Few Questions

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Mossy Oak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

A Few Questions

Post by Mossy Oak » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm planning on buying an alphas r edition this year and need to decide which rod to put it on. So please answer a few of my two questions.
1. What techniques are you using your alphas for?
2. Which DX rod would you put it on? I'm going to be throwing small jigs, weightless plastics, and small cranks

Thanks

wiscobassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: A Few Questions

Post by wiscobassin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 am

For me the right question is what don't I use the Sol/alphas platform for, it is such a versatile reel.

Looking at the techniques you mentioned I have a sol on a DC724c FH and it works very well for small jigs weightless plastics and in a pinch can throw small cranks (though not my ideal rod)

Mossy Oak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mossy Oak » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:51 pm

I was looking at the 743 and is the slower gear ratio fine for plastics and jigs? I would usually opt for a 7.1:1 for those techniques. :-k

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:23 am

wiscobassin wrote:For me the right question is what don't I use the Sol/alphas platform for, it is such a versatile reel.

Looking at the techniques you mentioned I have a sol on a DC724c FH and it works very well for small jigs weightless plastics and in a pinch can throw small cranks (though not my ideal rod)
the only TWO things that i don't use the alphas platform for are punching and deep cranking. i probably would use it for punching but i have a tdz-105hl and a curado 201 e7 dedicated for that. deep cranking definitely does NOT work on an alphas. had my b-tt handed to me two months ago when i tried it.