Bass pro

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
heatmizer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Bass pro

Post by heatmizer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:19 am

Ok i am heading to Bass Pro and I want a flipping/pitching outfit. I was planning on a dobyns and a lews tourn pro speed spool. bass pro does not have them. Just wondering any suggestions at to what to get for around 350.00.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bass pro

Post by USA-RET » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:08 am

Depends on the kind of cover your fishing and whether you can cross over. I flip pads and some thick hydrilla and need a very heavy stick but pitching to weedlines or flipping into pockets near a weedline edge, I can get by with a MH 6'8" to 7 foot rod.

Assuming your fishing is similar to my weedline edge scenario and I was spending "MY" $350, I'd grab a 7' MH Carbonlite rod (micro if you lean that way) and a Shimano Curado 50. I'd also mount the reel on the new Browning Hi-power 7's MH and see how it balances. Out the door for $200. With the extra $150, I'd buy line and a boatload of baits. I own Carbonlite and Browning..both are great rods for the money. Also have a Scorpion XT1000 (JDM Curado 50) Super little reel too.

If you feel compelled to spend the entire amount on just the rod and reel, then the Shimano Cumura rod line is something to consider w/ the Curado 50.

Just my opinion...works for me.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:47 am

USA-RET wrote:Depends on the kind of cover your fishing and whether you can cross over. I flip pads and some thick hydrilla and need a very heavy stick but pitching to weedlines or flipping into pockets near a weedline edge, I can get by with a MH 6'8" to 7 foot rod.

Assuming your fishing is similar to my weedline edge scenario and I was spending "MY" $350, I'd grab a 7' MH Carbonlite rod (micro if you lean that way) and a Shimano Curado 50. I'd also mount the reel on the new Browning Hi-power 7's MH and see how it balances. Out the door for $200 ($300 ($89-119rod+$200reel). With the extra $50, I'd buy line and a some baits. I own Carbonlite and Browning..both are great rods for the money. Also have a Scorpion XT1000 (JDM Curado 50) Super little reel too.

If you feel compelled to spend the entire amount on just the rod and reel, then the Shimano Cumura rod line is something to consider w/ the Curado 50. (Cumara rod is $199-$229 + CU50E is $199 that would put you a little overbudget at $400-$430, but would be a killer combo...)

just had to change the math a lil bit ;)

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:05 am

vishus wrote:
USA-RET wrote:Depends on the kind of cover your fishing and whether you can cross over. I flip pads and some thick hydrilla and need a very heavy stick but pitching to weedlines or flipping into pockets near a weedline edge, I can get by with a MH 6'8" to 7 foot rod.

Assuming your fishing is similar to my weedline edge scenario and I was spending "MY" $350, I'd grab a 7' MH Carbonlite rod (micro if you lean that way) and a Shimano Curado 50. I'd also mount the reel on the new Browning Hi-power 7's MH and see how it balances. Out the door for $200 ($300 ($89-119rod+$200reel). With the extra $50, I'd buy line and a some baits. I own Carbonlite and Browning..both are great rods for the money. Also have a Scorpion XT1000 (JDM Curado 50) Super little reel too.

If you feel compelled to spend the entire amount on just the rod and reel, then the Shimano Cumura rod line is something to consider w/ the Curado 50. (Cumara rod is $199-$229 + CU50E is $199 that would put you a little overbudget at $400-$430, but would be a killer combo...)

just had to change the math a lil bit ;)
Thanks, off my "Meds".... :doh:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:04 am

I got excited, I was thinking maybe Basspro was having a sale, buy a CU50E and get a FREE carbonlite rod! LOL

Trooper46
Angler
Angler

Post by Trooper46 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:24 am

Hey sales like that happen some times. 2 years back I got a bionic blade for a dollar when I purchased an extreme. Both were new old stock, but who cares if they were the "old" models?

jpav121
Angler
Angler

Post by jpav121 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:02 am

heatmizer wrote:Ok i am heading to Bass Pro and I want a flipping/pitching outfit. I was planning on a dobyns and a lews tourn pro speed spool. bass pro does not have them. Just wondering any suggestions at to what to get for around 350.00.
If you have your heart set on the dobyns/lews combo you could buy online from one of the board sponsors. The shipping will more than likely be free and depending on where you live, you may not even have to pay sales tax. Just another option to consider.
Trick 'em & stick 'em