Ordering items from Japan & Radiation?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Ordering items from Japan & Radiation?

Post by JerryC » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:28 am

Anyone worried about ordering stuff from Japan now and having it coming to the states with some radiation? I wasnt too worried being i dont order much, but i was looking at items from ebay that are coming from japan and it made me think twice. Any smarties in the house that can help us out with this? I dont know enough about radiation and how it travels or how long it stays on something.
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Ordering items from Japan & Radiation?

Post by africanbass » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:51 am

Last week it was stated that eating contaminated spinach for a year (not sure of the frequency) was equivalent to the radiation from one CT scan :-k
Happiness is a sore thumb

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:52 am

I'm worried about it too. You can always look to see where the shop is located and check Japan's map and figure out if it's safe or not. I'll say anyting south of Japan is safe. Also I noticed some e-tailers already tell their customers that they are radiation safe. I'd go with them first. :big grin:
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:05 am

Plat is safe it seems.. there located on the wayyyy other side of japan i can see.. but still.. better to be safe then sorry!
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:12 pm

The amount of radiation on the exterior of the boxes will be a non-issue. I have no issues ordering from shops in the Tokyo area. Any shops that are close to Fukushima aren't open anyway.

Bass Turd
Angler
Angler

Post by Bass Turd » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:46 pm

You should be fine. But if not maybe there'll be some radiation on the lures that when the bass eat, they'll grow HUGE

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:29 am

Everybody should be able to produce Gamma irradiated lines cheap now. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:05 am

From what was given to know to me from the scientific community in my institute, there are a lot of over reacting.
By this I don't mean they the Japanese, aren't facing a terrible problem but until now, no one died from exposure to radiation and all the prevention measures were taken in advance. There was no nuclear explosion but instead a hydrogen explosion in the reactor building.
There are a lot of data that are still to validate and people postulate on the amount of radiation sent to the environment.
The disaster was classified as level 5 by the authorities and not as level 6 as mentioned on the media.
From 0 to 4 means no leaks of radiation to the environment. 5 means a leak of radioactive material to the environment but without high danger to the population.
africanbass wrote:Last week it was stated that eating contaminated spinach for a year (not sure of the frequency) was equivalent to the radiation from one CT scan :-k

As africanbass stated, is very easy to give a number but to put it in the right context is more difficult. :-#

I'm still ordering from Japan and I'm sure that EU in my case and US will put a tight control on the problematic goods like baby food and similar.