A few non-sponsored recommendations

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

A few non-sponsored recommendations

Post by Johnny A » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:51 am

1. If you own a Certate, look into the RCS drag tuning kit. It replaces the shim under the spool with a ball bearing. Increases the range of the drag while providing a smooth surface for the spool to slide on.

2. Meiho/Versus tackle boxes. They cost a bit more but the divider slots are about 1/16" or less. This allows you minimize wasted space, fitting more baits/box and fewer boxes to carry.

3. Owner Stinger Treble Hook Black Chrome ST-36. Great stuff.

4. Toray Bawo Finesse braid ... where's the thumbs up smiley?

5. Never underestimate spare spools for your baitcaster(s). One spool with flouro, one for your braid on flippin'/pitchin' outfit.

6. Now that some of the JDM Flick Shakes and the like are available at your local stores, it's a good idea to keep some Japan only colors in your tackle box.

C'mon and share a few of your own tips!

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: A few non-sponsored recommendations

Post by cst » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:10 am

Good tips there. I'm fishing the new Suffix braid for most of my stuff. I still can't justify spending $40 a spool for the lighter braided lines.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:55 am

The one thing I discovered last summer that I'd recommend to anyone is the nylon mesh style rod covers. I started with a couple off brands from a local sporting goods store, then the Stick Jackets, and most recently, the Rod Glove. I really like the tapered tips on the Rod Glove and any more I buy will probably be from them.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:58 pm

BB144 wrote:The one thing I discovered last summer that I'd recommend to anyone is the nylon mesh style rod covers. I started with a couple off brands from a local sporting goods store, then the Stick Jackets, and most recently, the Rod Glove. I really like the tapered tips on the Rod Glove and any more I buy will probably be from them.
I see these for sale all over, from the 'name brand' to the smaller businesses that sponsor other sites. There's just so many options I haven't been sure which one to go with. This will be my next purchase however, I'm constantly worrying about damaging a rod transporting or storing it.

And for #5 in the OP...I wish I had or could find reasonably priced spare spools. Is there anywhere that sells these cheaper, perhaps from parts reels or something? Aren't most Daiwa spools ~$80? I mean that is about half the cost of a good used reel already! This is something that has irked me for a while. If low end spinning reels like pfluegers can provide an identical spare spool, why can't other manufacturers? I realize it's different with a BC, but it seems like spare spools with spinning reels are even fading out. I would gladly pay a little extra up front to receive a second spool with new BCs.

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 pm

I read somewhere that running hot water on your spool helps fresh line conform to the spool rather than the roll it was previously on. So I tried it and my 4lb flouroclear has stayed knot free for about 6 months now. Ive done this now everytime vie spooled new line on my other reels.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:29 am

Use the unused portion of your line by reversing the line on your spool.
Carry a first aid kit :D
Put your cell phone in a floatable container

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:13 am

I never heard of those boxes before, where did you get them from?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:26 am

Somerdink wrote:I never heard of those boxes before, where did you get them from?
They are JDM. Plat, bass.jp, Samurai Tackle usually have them in stock, brooklyn bill can get them. Shipping is a bit on the high side, although brooklyn bill was reasonable.
They come in a 3700 size with a couple of different configurations. A 3600 size in a couple of configurations. A few smaller sizes.

ccmhover
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ccmhover » Mon May 02, 2011 2:37 pm

In reference to the mesh covers above, I have tried Stick Jacket, didn't like them. I did like Rod Glove with the tapered tip, until I found Rod Sox. They have a rubber end that acts as a handle when putting it on my rods, and my hooks don't get hung in the mesh. Plus they are cheaper. You can google rod sox rod covers to find the website

On another note, has anyone had any luck with the new KVD 1.5 or 2.5? I was pretty partial to the Rapala CC4 square bills, but I was thinking if KVD's winning with them, why not try them?

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:09 am

Johnny A wrote:1. If you own a Certate, look into the RCS drag tuning kit. It replaces the shim under the spool with a ball bearing. Increases the range of the drag while providing a smooth surface for the spool to slide on.

2. Meiho/Versus tackle boxes. They cost a bit more but the divider slots are about 1/16" or less. This allows you minimize wasted space, fitting more baits/box and fewer boxes to carry.

5. Never underestimate spare spools for your baitcaster(s). One spool with flouro, one for your braid on flippin'/pitchin' outfit.

6. Now that some of the JDM Flick Shakes and the like are available at your local stores, it's a good idea to keep some Japan only colors in your tackle box.

Give the Owner ST-41 treble a try. I think you will REALLY like them. Little bit different bend and 2X heavy...but not too heavy.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:27 am

OK...

1. The new War Eagle Trokar SB has fixed the old issues they had and is a great biat (but the new skirt sucks and you need to old hand tied skirts.

2. Revenge "chatter-style" biats are the best I've seen by far.

3. Reel cleaning maintenance is well worth it.

4. Net bait Paca chucks save you a ton of money because they don't pull down the hook/tear up like a zoom critter craw, etc. (finesse jig example).

5. Texas Tackle split ring pliers are great.

6. When you replace your trebles on a bait like a wiggle wart (hooks tend to hook each other), put the "2-hook" sides of the trebles facing each other.

7. The Buckeye Wake-up is a great finesse topwater bait in clear water. The Redfin is an old trick on the White River chain, but the Buckeye has better hook-ups with the 3 trebles.

8. Buy neoprene reel covers (and keep your boxes). They pay for themselves if you are ever going to re-sell reels.

9. I have bought an sold a ton of Loomis rods, but the old CBR 845s and MBR 843s never go away.

10. The Alberto knot is crazy good for connecting line.

11. Magnesium frames reels are never going to feel as "smooth" as an aluminum frame, no matter how much you spend. It is only a "feel." (this might just be my opinion).

12. Use the Tackle Warehouse line for sale pages to compare line diameters (Posting these is one of the best things they have ever done).

13. Dont get TOO caught up in the color of plastics. Buy multiple packs of the ones you use..or save the money.

14. Spend money on quality cold weather clothing/rain gear (same for you hunter). You only have to buy it once, even though it hurst at the check-out counter.

15. Braid on my treble hook topwater baits has made me very happy.

16. Reel Stix are awesome

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Tue May 03, 2011 6:54 am

steve1206 wrote:
Johnny A wrote:1. If you own a Certate, look into the RCS drag tuning kit. It replaces the shim under the spool with a ball bearing. Increases the range of the drag while providing a smooth surface for the spool to slide on.

Give the Owner ST-41 treble a try. I think you will REALLY like them. Little bit different bend and 2X heavy...but not too heavy.
+ 1 on the ST-41. Especially if you use rattlebaits w/ braid. You can lean on `em and not worry about them straightening out on a good fish.