flipping

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
heatmizer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

flipping

Post by heatmizer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:57 pm

Any sugestions on a flipping outfit. I will be flipping some thick grass. I would like to keep it around 250$. I was looking at the 7"6' mojo rod and have no idea about a real. any help would be great.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: flipping

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:00 pm

u've lost your mojo for that price.
I would rec, I higher quality rod.. Most of the guys in my circle have been switching from loomis to dobyns flippin sticks.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jpav121
Angler
Angler

Post by jpav121 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:38 pm

It's a touch more than you wanted to spend, but I would recommend the Dobyns SS766FLIP and a Lews Speed Spool.
Trick 'em & stick 'em

Dereck
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Dereck » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Loomis is the way to go. Also a high speed reel high end / left hand crank if you are right handed. Spiderwire stealth a good heavy hook and tungsten weights. The best way to catch big ones.

heatmizer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by heatmizer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:53 am

great idea about the left hand crank on the reel. what loomis do you recomend?

Chris Vickers
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Chris Vickers » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:42 am

jpav121 wrote:It's a touch more than you wanted to spend, but I would recommend the Dobyns SS766FLIP and a Lews Speed Spool.

I have been a Shimano Curado man forever and swore by them. recently I bought the Lew's Speel Spool and OMG, What a dream reel. I pretty quickly ordered 6 more.Sweetest reel ive ever used to date and for the price WOW. Give them a try and he is spot on on the rod
Dobyns Rods
Lews Reels
Humminbird/MinnKota

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:34 pm

jpav121 wrote:It's a touch more than you wanted to spend, but I would recommend the Dobyns SS766FLIP and a Lews Speed Spool.
If you want to get a flipp`n stick to use on occasion then the Mojo would suffice. However if you want to enjoy Flipp`n and get everything out of it there is to offer go with something balanced like the Dobyns. I have not personally fished the Savvy series but have heard good things and I do own a few Champions.

heatmizer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by heatmizer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:17 am

I have checked out Lews Speed spool. what one would you recomend with the Dobyns?

jpav121
Angler
Angler

Post by jpav121 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:47 am

That's really up to you. If you wanna go lefty, then you can only get 6.4:1 If you want a high speed (7.1:1) reel, you'll have to go righty. Personally, I like a 6.4:1 ratio reel for flipping because of the extra power. Other guys prefer the 7.1:1 to take up the slack quicker. Just depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. Either way, I think you'll be happy with the set up.
Trick 'em & stick 'em

heatmizer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by heatmizer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:49 am

Are you talking the tourn speed spool or the toun. pro speed spool?

jpav121
Angler
Angler

Post by jpav121 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:25 pm

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Spe ... e-LSP.html

$90 reel + $170 rod = $260, just over your original budget.
Trick 'em & stick 'em

heatmizer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by heatmizer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:28 am

would the tourn. or the tourn. pro, be that much of a better reel? I know its over what I wanted to spend but oh well. has anyone used them ccompared to the cheaper one

flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Post by flywatersmallie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:57 am

I have one of the Tourney Pro, one Tourney and 2 of the regular Speed Spool reels. All are mounted on Savvy rods. I have the regular Speed Spools on the 735 and the 766FLIP. I did that because I don't use those heavier sticks very often, in my mind, I couldn't justify spending a bunch of money on reels that would spend the bulk of their time in the rod rack. That said, the Speed Spool is impressive. Very smooth and very free casting. The only real differences, as far as I can tell are the the swept handle and dual brakes on the Tourney, the Tourney Pro is very "Revo Premier-like" in terms of features and weight. The Speed Spool just has magnetic brakes. You would be hard pressed to find a better reel in that price range. One other thing.... These reels sit VERY low on the rod. They are very comfortable to palm. Lower than a Revo I would think. Here is a pic of the regular Speed Spool on the 735, I tried to show how low it really sits but photography is not my strength.

Get Bit Baits Pro Staff

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:33 am

Should work very well for you for the price. The Dobyns Savvy 766 Flip well balance very well for you and the reel would work well also and its really not to over your budget.