Rainwear Suggestions

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Rainwear Suggestions

Post by Bassmar » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Get a set of Frogg Toggs for $69. These will keep you dry, are breathable and should last you 2 to 3 years at which time you purchase a new pair. Why spend $300 plus on a rainsuit which is suppossed to last you a lifetime but in all likelihood will 1) Get stolen, 2) Blow out the boat, 3) Start leaking at the seams, 4) Become too small due to an expanding waistline or 4) Go out of fashion.
Rather spend your money on tackle!!

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:30 am

If you've ever been out on a cold rainy day and needed the utmost protection, your guidewear suit
or 100mph suit is worth its weight in gold, no frogg togg suit can do that. I definitely recommend
saving up for a premium set, bibs + long coat. 8-)

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:31 pm

I dont think you can go wrong with cabelas guidewear or BPS 110mph. I purchased the guidewear two years ago about half price right after christmas. It was one of the best investments I have made. I have tried a lot of the cheaper stuff and it it never held up. It eventually starts leaking, tears or the zipper breaks.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:03 am

I don't doubt that the 100mph suit is quality but it seems to me that this is a suit geared more towards cold weather. If that's the case then it's not a good all around suggestion, same with the Guidewear for you will roast in the warmer months. The versatility of dressing with interchangeable layers topped by a good shell is hard to beat. Now in really cold, windy weather, a dedicated heavier suit might be better but if so then not by leaps and bounds IMO.
Here is a quick little 101 for those unfamiliar with layering http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/article ... ayers.html
Last edited by Toadslayer72 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:06 am

Bassmar wrote:Get a set of Frogg Toggs for $69. These will keep you dry, are breathable and should last you 2 to 3 years at which time you purchase a new pair. Why spend $300 plus on a rainsuit which is suppossed to last you a lifetime but in all likelihood will 1) Get stolen, 2) Blow out the boat, 3) Start leaking at the seams, 4) Become too small due to an expanding waistline or 4) Go out of fashion.
That's funny because NONE of those things have ever happened to me. All likelihood? Doubt that.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Toadslayer72 wrote:
Bassmar wrote:Get a set of Frogg Toggs for $69. These will keep you dry, are breathable and should last you 2 to 3 years at which time you purchase a new pair. Why spend $300 plus on a rainsuit which is suppossed to last you a lifetime but in all likelihood will 1) Get stolen, 2) Blow out the boat, 3) Start leaking at the seams, 4) Become too small due to an expanding waistline or 4) Go out of fashion.
That's funny because NONE of those things have ever happened to me. All likelihood? Doubt that.
Toad

As you are taking part in this forum I take it your rainsuit has not yet lasted a LIFETIME. So there is plenty time for the above to happen. :lol:

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:04 am

Bassmar wrote:
Toadslayer72 wrote:
Toad

As you are taking part in this forum I take it your rainsuit has not yet lasted a LIFETIME. So there is plenty time for the above to happen. :lol:
:lol: good one.....enjoy your Frogg Toggs :lol:

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:36 am

Rubberdaddy wrote:Go for quality, go with Cabelas Guidewear. I stay warm, and dry no matter what
2X on the Cabelas Guidewear

NickN
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NickN » Mon May 02, 2011 5:34 pm

x2 on the Cabelas Guidewear. It is on the pricier side but well worth it. I have had my set for 5 years. They have seen a lot of use and are still in great shape.