Rainwear Suggestions

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Dawkins29
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Rainwear Suggestions

Post by Dawkins29 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:09 am

The wife and I are looking to purchase some raingear for fishing\wading this year. Anybody have some suggestions for the budget minded, trying to keep the cost down having to purchase 2 sets. Breathable is preffered but I wonder if I am asking for too much at the lower price points.

Any help or suggestions are very much welcome.

Thank You.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rainwear Suggestions

Post by cst » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:41 am

Do you have an REI near where you live? I'd suggest stopping by their store and talking to the employees.

BassBug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassBug » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Keep my eyes open on Cabelas.com (Cabelas Bargin Cave) as they normally run rainwear specials.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:54 pm

REI is a good suggestion. Also try Sierratradingpost.com.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am

Rei, Sierra Trading Post, Campmor all good suggestions. It's pretty much like anything else though, the more feature rich, the more money. Good rain gear is one area I've learned not to skimp on over the years and even though my taste in gear leans more toward the high end, I buy my kids mostly inexpensive pieces. Some of Campmor's stuff is decent and White Sierra isn't bad for the price either. Some of the things I've come to appreciate in good rain gear are pit zips for ventilation, an articulated hood, velcro closures at the wrists and ankles and storm flaps at the zippers. A really nice feature too in the pants is to get them with zippers that come up at least to the calf, it makes sliding the pants on in a hurry much easier.

I'd seriously consider spending a little more for something good. I mean the cheap stuff isn't gonna last and before you know it, you'll be looking into buying rain gear again. The better brands can stand up to the abuse life in the outdoors has to offer. Also, don't look at as buying some specialty gear either, you can wear the jackets in a variety of weather. Actually, that leads me to a tip, buy a little bigger because you can layer up if you live in a colder area and wear your rain shell on top, even in the winter.

Sorry I got so long winded but if you'd like any more info, PM me and I'd be happy to share my insights.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 am

Toadslayer72 wrote:
I'd seriously consider spending a little more for something good. I mean the cheap stuff isn't gonna last and before you know it, you'll be looking into buying rain gear again. The better brands can stand up to the abuse life in the outdoors has to offer. Also, don't look at as buying some specialty gear either, you can wear the jackets in a variety of weather. Actually, that leads me to a tip, buy a little bigger because you can layer up if you live in a colder area and wear your rain shell on top, even in the winter.
totally agree, dont go cheap, not worth it, buy something that will last you the rest of your life, its never going to stop raining :whistle:

take a good look at the patagonia (patagonia.com) rain gear (rainshadow jacket and pants), exceptional value and unbelievable warranty

trust me, the quality gear will keep you dry and comfortable, and its worth every penny ;)
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:36 am

DUZBASS wrote:
Toadslayer72 wrote:
totally agree, dont go cheap, not worth it, buy something that will last you the rest of your life, its never going to stop raining :whistle:

take a good look at the patagonia (patagonia.com) rain gear (rainshadow jacket and pants), exceptional value and unbelievable warranty

trust me, the quality gear will keep you dry and comfortable, and its worth every penny ;)

Yeah, I've got a rainshadow jacket but I have full leg zipper Mountain Hardwear Epic pants. I actually got those pants some years ago off of Sierra Trading Post for $33, best deal of my life because those pants are awesome. I've got a couple of MHW Epic jackets too. Seriously though when you start getting in the $100+ range for rain shells they are all good and it just comes down to the slight differences in aesthetics and your preference.

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:05 am

I'm with several of the guys in the opinion that when it comes to raingear you get exactly what you pay for.. If you don't mind getting wet around the seams buy cheap, but if you really want to stay dry buy something made of Gore Tex which will of course be more expensive. I've learned the hard way and finally broke down and bought my first nice rainsuit 10-15 years ago.. Been worth every penny. I've bought several others since. (First (Helly Hanson) was stolen out of my boat, and the 2nd (Cabelas Guidewear) 1/2 blew out and didn't realize it) :oops: .. I currently have the BPS 100MPH bibs and parka and would recommend it, but I also owned the Cabela's Guidewear and I honestly feel like it was a little bit better made and kept me the driest of them all... Unfortunantly when it comes to raingear you do get what you pay for, and to stay dry you'll have to shell out the money..... Good luck... I shutter at the thought of having to buy one set, let alone two sets... :lol:
Pmedicbm

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:12 am

The Costco's here in Ottawa (ON) sell Wetskins brand for $59.99 for the 2-pc set. Taped seams, appears well made, and probably retails for near double that at some specialty stores.

I personally have a Sierra Designs ultra lightweight and breathable rainsuit that works well for me but it was about $95 per piece! If I had to do it all over again, I'd read more reviews and find something less expensive that does the job as well as my (overpriced) SD suit does.

Trooper46
Angler
Angler

Post by Trooper46 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 am

When I was looking at replacing my Colombia rain gear I looked everywhere. Cabelas set me up pretty good. I got Goretex pack lite pants and a jacket for less than some of the jackets cost alone. I spoke to one of the sales guys and let him know that since I don't do alot of hunting in the rain I don't need anything too quiet. He walked me over to the sale rack and handed me a jacket and pants and said try this. The only compaint I have about my rain jacket is the lack of pit zips, but for the price of everything I would do it again.

Boods
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Boods » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:43 am

It can definitely get a little pricey, but like others have mentioned don't go cheap. Get something that you will be comfortable in without getting wet! Personally, I would check out The North Face line of gear. They have incredible, quality products that keep you warm and dry. I bought a couple different North Face jackets for college this year to keep me warm and dry walking from class to class and they are the real deal! Hope this helps! :D

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:58 am

Gamehide makes raingear for fishing just like cabelas, and it is the exact same material and quality as the expensive cabelas stuff. The only difference is that the gamehide raingear costs a little less, it is still on the pricey side but is deffinately the best priced high quality raingear.

Nektarios
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nektarios » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:34 am

If you decide to go with Gore-Tex I have been happy with the BPS 100 MPH suit.

Lou
Angler
Angler

Post by Lou » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:43 am

I bought a pair of expensive Arcteryx pants and jacket a few years back. Both have lots of features but last year the pants began to leak at the zippers. I sent them in for repair but they still leak. I may look at Guidewear as a replacement.

Rubberdaddy
Angler
Angler

Post by Rubberdaddy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Go for quality, go with Cabelas Guidewear. I stay warm, and dry no matter what