Cross lock snap - which one for quality and strength?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Jon_K
Angler
Angler

Cross lock snap - which one for quality and strength?

Post by Jon_K » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Tried some slow jigging for spring pike today (no result), and after taking a look at the cross lock snaps I was using, I saw that I need something better for big fish. I'm interested in suggestions on strong cross lock snaps that won't open under pressure.

What size is ok to use for pike jigging, and saltwater jigging for bigger coalfish, pollock etc?

I'm looking at some different brands on eBay, but it would be nice to hear what you people think.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Cross lock snap - which one for quality and strength?

Post by slipperybob » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:16 am

I use a lot of duo locks but prefer coast locks for pikes.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:59 am

In-Fisherman has sung the praises of Berkley cross-lock snaps for years. They are rated in pound test; match them to the break strength of your line (keeping in mind that many lines break above their labeled strength).

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:14 am

The only thing I don't like about the Berkley Cross locks nowadays are they tend to lock up and you need pliers to open them darn things. Wasn't that way when I first used them, but the quality control is now lacking.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:33 am

I haven't bought them recently, but there is one other drawback worth noting to the Berkley snaps: they can be hard to get through a small hole drilled at the front of a spoon, and even harder to get out.

Jon_K
Angler
Angler

Post by Jon_K » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:11 am

Took a look at the Berkley cross-locks on eBay now; they look very simular to some which I've contacted the seller about, but not gotten a reply. Sadly no shipping to Norway from the seller found with the Berkley items, which is a pity since they are at a good price. Didn't find anything on the in-fisherman site, anyone with a link to a store that offers international shipping?

mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrborohachi » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:42 am

http://ichibantackle.com/showproductdet ... C%27ULTIVA

There used to be a long post about snaps. These Owner/Cultiva cross lock snaps were found to be the best

Jon_K
Angler
Angler

Post by Jon_K » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 am

mrborohachi wrote:http://ichibantackle.com/showproductdet ... C%27ULTIVA

There used to be a long post about snaps. These Owner/Cultiva cross lock snaps were found to be the best

Thanks! :)

bassdawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassdawg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:24 am

I use Berkley cross lock snaps but the more i open them to change lures they break off . Anyone else have this problem ?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:34 am

That's just how the Berkley cross lock snap works. Hence I don't have much faith in them.

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:35 pm

so far i've found owners to be some of the better ones i've used, better still their price wasnt tat high compared to others good snap. Soft enough to open easily, but looks tough enough for the job. And very consistent, doesn't break one b4, maybe bent a lil

Rosco are cheap, n in some way good also. They look like they're of cheaper quality too. bent easier than owners. But much easier to open n close.

so far these are the 2 brands i normally go for, there're some cheap 'no-brand' ones tat bent, break easily so for confidence i stick to owner.

and so far the two mentioned above havent rust on me yet... mainly because i do freshewater most of the time, n i throw them away every trip or so, so...

tried evergreen ones too, a lil more expensive than the owners. quality a bit like rosco. open n close easily, particularly love the wide gap config they offer... but have some bad experience, after some time on the water and open/close them. Have quite a few of them snapped when opening them

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:29 am

Bass Pro Shops. I'm serious. They have NEVER broken on me and I use them in every rig I use. Although I did forget to close one once and caught a bass that took my lure in shallow water. I could see the fish swimming around with the lure hanging from his jaw and I felt AWFUL. I spent the next 20 minutes trying to catch him and actually DID. I removed the worm and put him back happy and healthy.

I use the size 0, and 1 almost exclusively.

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Rosco Terminal Tackle
American Made
Nickel Barrel-Coastlock Snaps
$25 for 36, size 7 rated 75#

Low profile, high strength. A little expensive, but a quality product.
Attachments
Photo0242.jpg
Photo0242.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 7999 times
Photo0243.jpg
Photo0243.jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 7999 times

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:57 pm

bladerunner wrote:Bass Pro Shops. I'm serious. They have NEVER broken on me and I use them in every rig I use. Although I did forget to close one once and caught a bass that took my lure in shallow water. I could see the fish swimming around with the lure hanging from his jaw and I felt AWFUL. I spent the next 20 minutes trying to catch him and actually DID. I removed the worm and put him back happy and healthy.

I use the size 0, and 1 almost exclusively.
I was almost afraid to admit it with all the other suggestions, but the generic BPS snaps are what I use. Not sure about the size but judging by the pics the ones I'm using are much smaller than what's being suggested. Wish the packages had the actual breaking strength on them.

I don't use snaps on much except my crankbait rod (just too much of a hassle to retie when swapping cranks). Yet to have one break or fail in any way or rust.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:22 am

Ever notice how the Rosco and Sampo logo looks soooo alike? :big grin: