Arthritis and fishing

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Arthritis and fishing

Post by Bob Ellis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:17 am

I'm barely thirty but years of playing guitar and doing some of the things I do at work have left me with pretty good arthritis. I didn't realize it was getting so bad until I got my new Citica setup and the new rod for the Cardiff as well. The pain in my thumb and palm is not pleasant after a half hour of practice casting in the parking lot.

Playing with some of the spinning stuff I have around and I develop no such pain, my thumb and palm are there for the grip, not the work. We'll see what the doctor says but last time I complained that my hand hurt when doing something (screwdriver) he said "buy a drill". Not looking good.

Anyone else have such issues? How do you cope?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Arthritis and fishing

Post by JerryC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:26 am

I dont have authritis but i do have a bad wrist problem causing pain in my palm & nuckles.. im now using a removable wrist brace
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:24 am

Bob Ellis wrote:I'm barely thirty but years of playing guitar and doing some of the things I do at work have left me with pretty good arthritis. I didn't realize it was getting so bad until I got my new Citica setup and the new rod for the Cardiff as well. The pain in my thumb and palm is not pleasant after a half hour of practice casting in the parking lot.

Playing with some of the spinning stuff I have around and I develop no such pain, my thumb and palm are there for the grip, not the work. We'll see what the doctor says but last time I complained that my hand hurt when doing something (screwdriver) he said "buy a drill". Not looking good.

Anyone else have such issues? How do you cope?
Sadly, arthritis is something we can all look forward to. Plus, I'd seriously look for another doctor if that' was his advice.

With the bait-casting outfit..some of that pain can be from getting adjusted to the holding the rod and using your hands and fingers differently from normal use. (remember developing those finger callus' with the guitar :D ) I'd keep at it and see if the pain starts subside after a few outings. just don't push it, quite after a while and go back to the next day.

There are some over the counter remedies that can mitigate the pain. Aleve is a good one as is Bufferin arthritis formula. Both have some anti inflammatory ingredients (NSAID) that help. Trust me, these are not wonder drugs and may only provide minor relief.

Often arthritis can put an end to many activities. If Spinning gear is usable without the pain..then switch to it if you cannot get accustom to bait-casting use w/o the pain.

Sorry to hear you're having those problem at your young age.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:34 am

I never had much of a problem before, I've had the Cardiff for a few years. I've always used it and a spinning rig about 50/50 when bass fishing.

This year I decided to take the plunge and get the second bait casting rig to divide up the chores. Good timing!

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:16 am

I'm 36, and this is my list of nagging injuries do to years of Snowboarding in the North East.
Arthritis in both hands, wrists, shoulders and ankles.
Gout!?!? which is odd for a 5'9" 170lb 36 year old.
Frozen left shoulder do to reconstruction surgery after 100+ dislocations.
Torn Rotator Cuff in right shoulder. Can't even throw a ball or reach for anything anymore.

I WISH I found Bass fishing when I was a kid rather then Snowboarding........
MegabassUSA.com

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:01 pm

I've dealt with arthrisis for the past 10-15 years (but then I'm about to turn 79) but still fish 4-5 days a week all summer. I find it worse in the cold months and usually don't spend many hours on the water during the winter. I do take ibuprofen, usually one tablet before I leave to go fishing, and get through the day OK. I fish with the lightest tackle I have, and found that to help. I also fish mostly plastics and find the slower pace of bottom fishing much gentler on my hands. I find fishing frogs and toads the very stressful due to the heavier rod, the high tip, and faster, longer casts. Hard jerkbaits aggravates me the most and I gave up fishing them. But I'm not ready to quit. Just adapt your methods and tackle.

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:51 pm

Have you been tested for Carpel Tunnel Syndrome ?

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 am

Been to the doc and it looks like I'm a winner! I have a lovely combination of arthritis and basal thumb joint degradation.

I'll keep playing around with things for a bit though I still have a few weeks on my 90 day return window for the Citica and new rods I bought. I might then be in the market for a stout spinning rod, and I can live with that.

11tonytiger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 11tonytiger » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:34 am

I have a similar problem in my left hand(hook setting hand) after ulnar nerve surgery and find it almost impossible to keep a grip on my rod when setting the hook with fishing jigs/worms.I have adapted to spinning gear for bottom fishing techniques where a hard hook set is important and still use my baitcaters for other methods.

T