I need a great pitching rig...

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

I need a great pitching rig...

Post by bladerunner » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:26 am

Here are my requirements. I fish a canal that's about 30 yards wide, 2-5ft. deep. There are dense clumps of Lilly-pads scattered everywhere. These pads extend about a foot off the surface for most of the summer. Standard jigs hang up as do frogs. Under the pads it is pretty open - other than the stalks.

What exact tackle should I use. Nothing heavier than an ounce. Nothing that needs pegged preferably. I'm not the biggest fan of weedguards... but use them when unavoidable. Slould I use a jig or a Texas rigged punch bait? I prefer tungsten over lead.

Please be brand specific.

After I get enough suggestions , I will pick one persons exact set-up and put it to use. I'll post whose idea it was on here.

huntnfish 76
Angler
Angler

Re: I need a great pitching rig...

Post by huntnfish 76 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:43 am

If you dont want to use jigs then sitck with plastics. The pegging problem is easy just use a bobber stop and it will make pegging easy. I use 50lb braid in vegetation and my favortie plastics for flipping are beavers, paca craws and other creature and craw baits, just find one you like. I would also look at the new berkley havoc baits, theres a few new baits made for heavy cover. Im not sure how dense the pads are mut you might need to go over an ounce but i dont know because I cant tell what your fishing and I dont fish pads. Have you tried a punch skirt? It would give you jig profile but no weed guard and you can make it weedless by the way you rig it.

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:04 am

I pitch a YUM wooly-bug in soupy film with a #4/0 Trokar flipping hook. My hook-up ratio is awesome - but I want a tungsten weight system that dosen't need pegging - and am I even right in assuming a rig like this will penetrate pads better than a traditional jig and trailer with weedguard? What's been you're experience?

huntnfish 76
Angler
Angler

Post by huntnfish 76 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:42 pm

I think its more streamlined so it has less resistance going down, The only thing i can think of for no pegging are the magnetic bullet weights but im pretty sure they only come in lead.

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:53 pm

The reason I don't like pegging is I feel it kinks and weakens the line... :-k

Mossy Oak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mossy Oak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:21 pm

3/4 oz tungsten weight + Skinny Bear round rubber punch skirt + Gamakatsu heavy cover flippin hook + RI beaver + toothpick = What you need and the toothpick won't damage the line at all, I always use this rig for a situation like that and have never felt like I've broken off because of the pegged weight.

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Mossy Oak wrote:3/4 oz tungsten weight + Skinny Bear round rubber punch skirt + Gamakatsu heavy cover flippin hook + RI beaver + toothpick = What you need and the toothpick won't damage the line at all, I always use this rig for a situation like that and have never felt like I've broken off because of the pegged weight.
Thank you for the precise setup... Is 50lb. braid enough? So far you are the frontrunner.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:45 am

Bass Pro Shops flipping tube, tru- tungsten flipping weight, Gama superline hook, 65 lb Sufix 832 braid, rubber peg. If you don't peg the weight, than the weight can separate from the plastic leaving the plastic on top of the cover.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:30 am

Here's a rig that should in your situation (best Pix I could find of an assembled example):

http://www.outdoorproshop.com/Sizmic-Ok ... ee-rig.htm

You can actually make something similar yourself with a bullet sinker and an eye-hook. However, I'd get a "store bought" version to see exactly how it goes together.

Here's a pix of how the rig is actually assembled:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sizmic_W ... -SWHW.html

When I'm pitching pads, I use this rig. It's also excellent for punching mats as it comes in heavier weights. With this rig the bait doesn't have to reverse directions when it hits the water or the mat..it just drops straight down. When jigged off the bottom..again, it falls straight down.

Lastly, you can try other plastic trailers with the hook and sinker combo rather than just the "jungle toad" . The Netbait Paca Craw rigs quite nicely with the hook and sinker..you get those big claws flappin ;) . You just have to do a bit of 'reverse engineering". :lol:

Tackle warehouse has sizes down to 1/2 ounce and up to 1.5 ounces and packs of the jungle toads. These have been available at "Dicks" as a pack..(sinker, hook and three plastic trailers for less than $5).

Good luck :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Mossy Oak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mossy Oak » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:41 am

bladerunner wrote:
Mossy Oak wrote:3/4 oz tungsten weight + Skinny Bear round rubber punch skirt + Gamakatsu heavy cover flippin hook + RI beaver + toothpick = What you need and the toothpick won't damage the line at all, I always use this rig for a situation like that and have never felt like I've broken off because of the pegged weight.
Thank you for the precise setup... Is 50lb. braid enough? So far you are the frontrunner.
I usually use 65 lb.
Heres a diagram from monster tackleImage

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:06 am

1. How does that little stop in front of the tungsten weight work? How does it stay in place?
2. Who makes those?

Mossy Oak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mossy Oak » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:43 am

bladerunner wrote:1. How does that little stop in front of the tungsten weight work? How does it stay in place?
2. Who makes those?
The rubber stop is an eagle claw bobber stop, it holds the weight in place because it's tight on the line, especially with larger diameter lines.