Went "cheap" and am perfectly happy.

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Went "cheap" and am perfectly happy.

Post by Bob Ellis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:47 am

I had previously asked about some Dobyns Champion rods to go with a Curado I bought in an effort to upgrade from my old and well worn 6' GL2 rods. After debating some time I decided that there was a level of performance that was "good enough" for me and I am not ashamed to say it came in well under typically discussed TT budget :)

Instead of buying a $200+ rod for the new Curado I returned it for credit. I walked out with three rods and a different reel.

All the rods were St. Croix Triumphs, one spinning and two casting. They were joined in the wagon by a Citica.

My new setup, and I am quite proud of it thank-you-very-much:

My current Cardiff now lives on a Triumph 6'6" MH instead of his old home on a CR724.
The new Citica got paired with a 7' M, we'll see how this short-rod guy gets on with the length.
A Sahara spinning reel (newer model) will grace a 7' M spinning rod for the lighter baits.

DobyLiteRX Type Rs they are not, but they blow box store stuff out of the water. I am pleased 8-)

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Went "cheap" and am perfectly happy.

Post by ppFishing » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:55 am

Bob Ellis wrote:I had previously asked about some Dobyns Champion rods to go with a Curado I bought in an effort to upgrade from my old and well worn 6' GL2 rods. After debating some time I decided that there was a level of performance that was "good enough" for me and I am not ashamed to say it came in well under typically discussed TT budget :)

Instead of buying a $200+ rod for the new Curado I returned it for credit. I walked out with three rods and a different reel.

All the rods were St. Croix Triumphs, one spinning and two casting. They were joined in the wagon by a Citica.

My new setup, and I am quite proud of it thank-you-very-much:

My current Cardiff now lives on a Triumph 6'6" MH instead of his old home on a CR724.
The new Citica got paired with a 7' M, we'll see how this short-rod guy gets on with the length.
A Sahara spinning reel (newer model) will grace a 7' M spinning rod for the lighter baits.

DobyLiteRX Type Rs they are not, but they blow box store stuff out of the water. I am pleased 8-)
There is nothing wrong w/ the St. Croix Triumphs. I have two of them. One for musky fishing. So far they have perform flawlessly. The blank on the triumphs is the same blank they use on the premier line.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:06 am

You do not have to spend allot of money to be satisfied. Sometimes less expensive stuff just works.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:52 am

I´ve got a couple of Clarus rods and I think they are great.

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:57 pm

I'd say you done good.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:05 am

I've done the same, after some sticker shock and realistic thinking on what I should be spending on this "hobby" ;). Had to replace several Zillions and Sol's, and decided to drop down to the $100 reel range (Browning/BPS Citori) and some on-sale Kistlers... Realistically I don't spend enough time on the water to really justify $3k in gear for 5 or 6 rigs... and in today's economy more than ever I'm seeing the need to squeeze that penny. Did a little blurb on the Citori in the $100 reel thread, while it's certainly no Zillion it's a nice, solid reel for the money, especially if you catch then on sale.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:18 am

I have some pretty expensive stuff (for a college kid) and I love them...but to be honest, I have a walmart special daiwa spinning combo that I got 5 years ago for around $20 that I have caught soooo many fish on...the fish dont care.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:33 am

I ended up walking out of Gander Mountain yesterday with a 7' med-lite St. Croix Eyecon for under $60. They had a bunch of rods @ 25% off and I had a gift card from X-Mas. Too bad I have to buy a reel for it now :lol: My main spinning reel is a JDM Steeze and I love it so much but there is no way I can spend that kind of money on a reel for this new rig. I'm looking at the Shimano CI4 as of now but that's even pushing it. I know hardly "cheap" but this is TT.

olamagic
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by olamagic » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:00 am

Everybody has their zone of comfort on the price of their equipment , you are one of the lucky ones that does not need top line equipment. Enjoy your new equipment.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

It is true. With the bad economy, kids, married to nagzilla, and bills, not everyone can afford to spend thousands of dollars on fishing gear all the time. I am also now trying to squeeze as much fishing performance as I can for every penny I spend - though I just bought 3 more Shimano Cumara rods :doh:

I own several Curado 200E's as I have stated on the forums before. Now that I think about it, perhaps I could have gotten two times more Citica 200E' reels for the money I spent on my Curado 200Es. These reels are almost identical in performance.

Most of us (including me) have wine tastes but beer money.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**