Kevin VanDam Line and Lure Conditioner

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kevin VanDam Line and Lure Conditioner

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:47 am

Seems to help out on spinning gear enough to use it occasionally when using mono on spinning gear. I haven't really noticed much difference when using it on FC lines. A buddy of mine uses it regularly on just about all his combos - BC and spinning gear - and he swears by it.

Jason Milligan
Angler
Angler

Post by Jason Milligan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:30 pm

I believe you can achieve the same results with any kind of silicone spray. I wonder if CAMP DRY or a similar product would work? Camp Dry is a silicone water proofing spray, not sure if that'd be ideal but I'm sure there's something similar. Camp dry is $6.00 for a huge can...
Pro Staff: Hi's Tackle Box, Damiki Fishing Tackle

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:22 am

It helps a TON reducing kinks and burns in the Fluoro when pulling out birds nests.
MegabassUSA.com

CWilliams
Angler
Angler

Post by CWilliams » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:13 am

Jason Milligan wrote:I believe you can achieve the same results with any kind of silicone spray. I wonder if CAMP DRY or a similar product would work? Camp Dry is a silicone water proofing spray, not sure if that'd be ideal but I'm sure there's something similar. Camp dry is $6.00 for a huge can...
I remember reading that there is no silicone in KVD L&L. I could be remembering wrong.

I find that it helps my braid keep its color longer.

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:53 am

Stuff is great. Dries with no film or oily feeling. Helps get kinks out of birdnests, and I've found it helps to keep lighter flouro limp on spinning gear. I swear by it.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Waxy feeling, mikly color, and it gave me a placebo effect. I tried it especially on a slipbobber with some coily lines and it did nothing for line management.

Tried it for ice fishing and had my line loss strength. I guess, do not let freeze directions has to be followed. :-k
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:17 am

I've used the KVD, regular silicone spray and Reel Magic. I didn't like the milky color of the KVD. I believe they all help your line stay softer. I spray down my reels after every trip. There is a definite difference between using a line conditioner and not using one. Right now, I'm using the Reel Magic on both floro and mono.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:57 am

I use it all the time. The stuff works great just follow the directions. :D

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:01 pm

I use KVD and Reel magic. I can definitely get more distance and smoothness on my casts. Just can't decide which one I like better.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 am

I only use KVD line conditioner because it will not wash off the oil or grease that is in bearings or on the main gears, Reel Magic will wash off oil from bearings !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrborohachi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:34 am

+1 for KVD l&l, seems to keep line slicker longer

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:52 am

It helps me with flouro on spinning reels. Don't see much of a difference on casting reels. For nylon I like reel magic.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 am

I have never used it but want to start. Im trying fc on my spinning outfits this year so I think Im going to buy some of it.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:43 am

Used it for two years before that used reel magic for many years. I'm switching back to reel magic. I like it more. I also never had any bearing problems or noise from them do to drying out using reel magic.

I don't soak my reel just two sprays on line and one on reel body wiping it off after fishing for cleaning or use bbs.

I also have seen no evidence that it helps fluoro copoly on the other hand I've seen great improvements.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

pchung3009
Angler
Angler

Post by pchung3009 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:18 am

These are not my words nor do I work for the company that manufacturers this stuff. Just something that I found interesting and saved in a word document for future use. Not sure where I got this excerpt, actually, I think it may have been a post on TT prior the crash. Good stuff.....
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Understanding Line and Lure Conditioner

I would like to point out a few “dynamics” of our product that will help you better understand some of the benefits an angler can expect with the regular use of Line & Lure and why it is miles ahead of the others line products.

The only real commercial competition for Line & Lure is Blakemore’s Reel Magic. It needs to be stated that oil based line dressings like WD-40 and Reel Magic have been around since the 1950’s and were used to address some of the problems that anglers were experiencing with monofilament line, the predominant line of the time.

Reel Magic and WD-40 is merely silicone oil with added petroleum distillates that are listed as toxic by the EPA and on the product’s label. The silicone oil adds some level of lubrication to line but is very temporary. Just how temporary these products are, can easily be observed when casting after a fresh application. One will plainly see the oil slick it leaves on the water surface. We anglers love the waterways that we fish, so why would we use or condone the use of toxic products that wash into lakes, rivers and bays?

Reel Magic and WD-40 does have a relaxing effect on the corkscrew memory that we see in monofilament line due to the petroleum solvents added to it. Unfortunately, these solvents reduce memory by literally dissolving the outer surface of the line, thereby weakening it. The use of these products, can contribute up to a 50 % loss of monofilament’s line strength in just a few days. If that wasn’t bad enough, these oils and solvents sprayed onto reel spools are also getting into the reel’s moving parts including bearings, gears and seals. The very nature of the oil in these products draws and holds dirt to these parts, negatively affecting their performance and lifespan. The solvents in the products are known to degrade the seals that the manufacturer built into the reel to protect the inner moving parts. Ask any professional reel repair technician and chances are that he will agree.

On the other hand, Line & Lure contains a blend of non-toxic, polymers that are not found in any other “line dressing or conditioner”. The proprietary polymer blend in Line & Lure imparts a coating to line that actually bonds to the line’s surface. In theory, this bond becomes a permanent part of the line. The only way to remove this coating is to abrade it from the line, by friction. The polymers fill any line surface imperfections and create a very uniform and smooth microscopic coating on the line. This smooth surface is inherently more resistant to friction than an untreated one. In this case, this phenomenon provides multiple benefits.

First, as friction does start to attack the line (as it goes through the rod guides, over obstacles, etc.), the polymer acts as a sacrificial buffer to that friction. Practically, our replaceable polymer finish wears instead of the line itself. This of course extends the line’s life tremendously.

Secondarily, these polymers are extremely hydrophobic, meaning that they literally push water away at the molecular level. This hydrophobic action reduces the amount of water that is retained on the line during a retrieve. It is this water surface tension on the reel spool that is a major contributor to casting distance restriction. This phenomenon is further demonstrated when we take into consideration the reduction in backlash that anglers find when using Line & Lure with bait casting reels.
This surface tension principle is the same thing that one experience when they pick up a sweating drinking glass and find the coaster being picked up with the glass. The less water on the line, the less the resistance caused by surface tension. This equals much longer casts and fewer backlashes!

It is also easy to see that with less water retention on the line there will be less contaminants coming back up on to the reel. This is especially important when fishing in saltwater. As we all know, it is the salt crystals that form in-between the loops of line on reels that cause a lot of the wear damage to fishing line. This salt also invades the seals on reels and over time acts like sandpaper wearing on reel components. Just as on the line, the polymers in line & Lure protect the seals from the elements, helping keeping them in prime condition. The anticorrosive properties of Line & Lure also dramatically reduce corrosion damage to rod, reel and artificial bait surfaces. Simply put, Line & Lure greatly extends the useful life of fishing equipment, lines and baits.

Line and lure contains extremely high sunscreen protection. This sunscreen blocks the UV rays from sunlight. UV radiation has a massively destructive effect on fishing line. Fishing line can literally burn at about half the rate as unprotected human skin! Using Line & Lure on your line is equivalent to using an SPF 30 on your skin. The competition has no more UV protection then baby oil.

Anglers are very happy with the benefits that they get using Line & Lure on monofilament line, but please keep in mind that Line & Lure was primarily designed by Kevin VanDam and RMR Industries to address the inherent problems anglers experience with fluorocarbon, co-polymers and braided lines. Other line dressings have little or no positive effect on these hi-tech lines.

After 1-½ years in development and testing by thousands of anglers around the world, Line and Lure has been proven to work effectively on any type of line made by any manufacturer. In addition, it is the only line conditioner that positively affects the flexibility, knot strength, casting and control of fluorocarbon line. Anglers using Line & Lure can expect the following benefits:

• Longer casts.......guaranteed!
• Virtually eliminates line memory, backlash, tangles, and twists
• Restores new line performance to old tired line
• Fights saltwater corrosion on reels, rods and tackle
• Leaves no oily residues or scents like other line treatments
• Contains no polluting petroleum distillates as in other conditioners
• Fights fading and damage to gear with high sunscreen
• Reduces water spotting on electronics & sunglasses
• Environmentally safe - non-toxic
• Superior Fly Line Dressing
• Unsurpassed de-icing performance in ice fishing

You can find out more about KVD Line & Lure Conditioner at: http://www.lineandlure.com