Strongest, lightweight treble hook?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Strongest, lightweight treble hook?

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:33 am

My search for a strong, but lightweight treble continues. Size 1-1/0. These hooks will be used for swimbaits, and I'll need lightweight hooks to adjust the sink/float rate. Just to give you an idea, Owner ST-36 (1x hooks) are way too weak, I've straighten out more than a handful of those. Best alternative I've come up with are Gamakatsu Aaron Martens MH Finesse hooks, but those smaller barbs don't seem to do well with swimbaits in particular. Downsizing split rings isn't an option, as the last time I did that, my baits came back without the hook lol. Maybe tie my own cord instead of using split rings to see if it shaves off a tenth of a gram?

I'm open to all suggestions. If I can't find a solution, the next thing I'll do is use 2x hooks, but in a smaller size. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thank you

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Strongest, lightweight treble hook?

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun May 24, 2020 8:15 am

Evergreen Treble Magic

Owner ZO Wire

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:57 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:15 am
Evergreen Treble Magic

Owner ZO Wire
Thanks for the reply, I'll order some Evergreen trebles. The zo wires are strong, but still not light enough. The stx-58's are actually quite heavy and the stx-45's only goes up to size 1, but are about the same weight as other comparable 2x hooks.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon May 25, 2020 4:12 pm

The Evergreen hooks are not light wire but they are the sharpest and strongest hooks for their size.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:41 pm

Loosen drag? Owner ST36 is the benchmark treble imo

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:52 pm

All of these are great hooks. Most of my hardbaits have ST-36 hooks on them, but they aren't very durable. The durability of the Evergreen trebles really got me liking the Zo wire style hooks. This has led me to start using the Owner Zo Wire as replacement hooks. It will probably take me years to change all of the hooks on my hardbaits to Zo wire :lol: . I still use the ST-36 for my baits that need lighter hooks, but smallmouth can wreck them in a hurry. There's really not a small light treble hook that will last long with big smallmouth. Most of the Japanese hardbaits with light dinky hooks on them don't need replacing because of sharpness because they are usually ultrasharp. I say take the sacrifice of a heavier hook when you really have to put fish in the boat with a weight-sensitive hardbait. I don't even mess with the outbarbs on my Vision 110's anymore. I step up and throw the 2x strong ST-41 for most of my soft and hard swimbaits that use the 1-2/0 size.