2019 Skipping Preference

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

2019 Skipping Preference

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:44 pm

What is your preference of gear for skipping baits?

his has been discussed in the past. In the past few years, the tried and true braking systems of the major reel manufacturers have got a major facelift. Daiwa's SV, Shimano's SVS Infinity and new DC iterations to name a few.

When listing your skipping preference, list everything with that setup (reel, line, rod, baits...)

I really like the Daiwa SV for skipping. Fluorocarbon more than braid. Softer tipped rods. 7ft to 7'6" long. Usually skipping jigs, chatterbaits and small hollow-bodied swimbaits. Frogs on occasion too.

With my limited time with DC brakes, I did really like the Scorpion DC (Fluorocarbon) but HATED the Curado DC (Braid) for skipping. The 12 Antares also was nice when I was messing around with it, as well as the Bantam. Feels like the SVS Infinity and MGL skip VERY well for me but, it requires more skill and experience than the stress free SV brakes.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2019 Skipping Preference

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:05 am

My take:

When skipping lighter lures (1/2oz and below) I prefer Daiwa's SV breaking system (my Steez SV TW in particular shines here). For heavier lures and frogs my 2018 Antares DC MD does a decent job.

To be fair though, I have also been successful skipping a jig with my Curado K (that is otherwise quite a bit finicky).

So, I guess it all comes down to the right technique and skill set.

Rod wise, I prefer a short rod (shorter than 7 foot) with a fast - extra fast tip. But again I have skipped lures on exact opposite spectrum.

Line wise , I do not have a preference. Fluro is a bit easier to skip than Braid, but again all a question of technique and training.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22 pm

The Zillion SV blows everything else I've tried out of the water, including the previous Zillion, which I thought was great. With that reel (the 9.1 version,) the Zillion 661HFB rod, and 50# PP, I can skip like it's second nature. I mean normal sidearm skips, pitching skips, backhand... No backslashes, even when I make a sloppy cast. I feel like an expert, which I am not.

Here's the setup:

This is the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Alphas Air with SV Light Limited spool - Custom Phenix K2, 6'8 medium light
Steez SV103 with Limited Steez SV105 (dimpled spool) - Custom Point Blank, 6'9 medium
I found the stock Alphas Air spool a little slow, and the SLP G1 1012SV a little fast for skipping. These two spools I've chosen seem to be about perfect for my preferences.