Fly rods

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Brookie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Fly rods

Post by Brookie » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:41 pm

Hi,

What you'll think about the fly rods from okuma, tica, martin, and such
brands?

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fly rods

Post by Reno Reeler » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:20 pm

They're pretty heavy. Check out the [font=Times New Roman][shadow=red] Airrus[/shadow][/font] fly rods. They look darn good!
Last edited by Reno Reeler on Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

corbin
Angler
Angler

Post by corbin » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:24 am

They are decent fly rods, and really pretty darn good when you consider the price. If you are looking for a rod with better sensitivity and line shooting accuracy then its worth plunking down the money for a Loomis (GLX), Sage, or Winston. Check out Temple Fork for a rod that has similar premium characteristics but a amazingly down to earth price. But with GLoomis and Sage you are investing for a rod for a lifetime.

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:34 pm

The rods that you named that you are interested in are not typical fly name brands. Are yo9u fishing on a budget?? If so how much are you looking to spend and what are you looking for?

Maybe we can offer some advice?

Troy

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:52 pm

I'm not a fly fisherman but please educate me on how sensitivity is important in a fly rod. Does fly line transmit the strike like superlines and mono?

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:17 pm

Unlike bass fishing and conventional fishing fly fishing strikes are typically not detected by having a sensitive rod. In dry fly fishing, you set the hook on sight of a fish inhaling your bug. When Strike indicating or nymph fishing you typically manage your line and on sight of the indicator moving and abruptly set the hook.

However, sometimes dead sticking a term used for holding a tight line up high with your rod through a pool you will feel the take the very second it happens.

I see your question as 2 fold. 1. is "educate me on how the sensitivity of a fly rod is important". Well a fly rod with a sensitive tip is more forgiving on hook sets with fine tippets, can be nicer while playing the fish, and comes with the sacrifice of maybe not casting such tight loops as stiffer rods can, especially with inexperienced casters.

Stiffer rods can cast further, punch through the wind a little better than soft action rods. However, this provides less shock absorption throughout your line and as a results tippets can get snapped on hook sets or during the fight.

Fly fishermen tend to find a rod somwhere in the middle for a versatile answer, or as I do choose to have an arsenal of rods and match the right rod to the right situation.

2. "Does fly line transmit the strike like super line or mono"? Well fly line is not really designed or marketed to transmit hook strikes. The line is designed to present your fly to the fish at the correct depth with the correct presentation. This is why you have floating line, sinking lines, and many different variatins of sink tips, shooting heads, etc. Onto this fly line you attach tippet material of your choice, (some P-lines, flourocarbons, and scientific andgler tippets work well) and this is what your fly is attatched to to the fish never sees your actual fly line.

Hope this helps.

Buzz
:lol:

timinaz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by timinaz » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:36 pm

Hi,
I started with a 20.00 cheapo package. After taking some lessons in casting I went to the local Orvis shop and tried several rods...What a difference! I kept the cheap rod and use it like a cane pole for panfish and bought a St Croix, along with an Orvis reel. You will also notice a difference in the way certain line weights handle I'm using 4wt WF Wonderline and love it. Be sure to rinse and clean your line after you fish. It helps especially if I fish in the Urban Lakes in Tucson where the water is a mix of recycled wanter and well.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:03 pm

i have a 6 wt. cabelas fly combo. I have been happy with it for trout and
also panfish, and on occasion, bass.