Fly Rods & Reels - SHOW and TELL

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Fly Rods & Reels - SHOW and TELL

Post by rubs96 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:24 am

These are my fly setups for the time being!

I haven't fished the Circa yet as I sold my Hardy Zenith 10' 5wt. to get a dedicated dry fly rod.

I picked up the Vapen in the fall but didn't get the chance to use it yet either - it will be my streamer and small nymph setup for rivers and ponds. I love my Cascapedia but I don't like that it has a click drag system. I used it the past 2 years on my 10' 7wt. Pro4X I had and found it difficult when fighting larger fish in faster current. I guess it's more of a love-hate relationship :lol:

I just acquired the Sage 99 from my buddy. He picked it up last spring but just didn't like it. I traded him a Hardy Zenith 8'10" 7wt. for it. The rod was ridiculously cheap so it wasn't a loss I believe. Plus, I've always wanted that rod :D

My favourite single-hand rod - the ONE 10' 8wt. This rod makes casting so easy. I've thrown almost everything on it and it makes fishing so much more enjoyable.

The Method switch is a great rod, too. I picked it up early last summer. Fished it hard in the summer in the river for bass. So much fun throwing big streamers on it.

I grabbed the 12'6 7wt. in the late summer but I didn't get the chance to use it. I used to have the 12'6" 7wt. TCX but didn't like it so I was weary when I bought this one. But since the reviews I read said it had a different feeling I had to try it out.

The 13'6" 8wt. is the rod that started it all :lol: My brother bought me the rod a couple years ago and it has been my absolute favourite rod I own. I used it in the late summer to practice some casting and it quickly reminded me why I love wading rivers and fishing so much.

Sage Circa 8'9" 5wt. & Sage Click IV
Redington Vapen 9' 6wt. & Hardy Cascapedia 5/6/7
Sage 99 9'9" 7wt. & Redington Delta 9/10
Sage ONE 10' 8wt. & Sage 4280
Sage Method 11'9" 8wt. & Sage 4210
Sage Method 12'6" 7wt. & Abel Big Game No. 4
Sage ONE 13'6" 8wt. & Sage 6012

Missing: Hardy Pro-Axis 9' 9wt. & Sage ONE 13' 10wt. custom being built!

vlad
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Fly Rods & Reels - SHOW and TELL

Post by vlad » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Nice collection!

jerrylo913
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jerrylo913 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:15 am

I need to get into fly fishing, even though there are not streams around here where I live I'm willing to try out the local lakes

floriano
Angler
Angler

Post by floriano » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:55 am

Sage makes good rods but they aren't the best value for money, IMHO. Go custom !

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:08 pm

in your seco d picture is the black reel an abel? I think so but am not sure. nice collection!

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:45 pm

floriano wrote:Sage makes good rods but they aren't the best value for money, IMHO. Go custom !
I've tried a lot of other high-end rods (Hardy Zenith, G.Loomis NRX) but Sage just feels better. There's something different. What kind of custom do you recommend? Which blank?

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:46 pm

nctrucker wrote:in your seco d picture is the black reel an abel? I think so but am not sure. nice collection!
Yes it is! Definitely a cool reel.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:48 pm

jerrylo913 wrote:I need to get into fly fishing, even though there are not streams around here where I live I'm willing to try out the local lakes
It's a lot of fun! Starting off with panfish would be a great way to get into it