Favorite fly rod and why??

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Wolbugger
Angler
Angler

Favorite fly rod and why??

Post by Wolbugger » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:26 am

Hey everyone,

All fly anglers have their one favorite fly rod. There is always that particular model and line weight rating that just has a special, unique feel which makes it hard to put down. So let's hear it-- what is the preferred rod in your arsenal? List the manufacturer, model name, line weight, and what makes it special :-k

-- Wolbugger

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Favorite fly rod and why??

Post by DarkShadow » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:41 am

I would have to go with my Echo Carbon, 3 weight, 7'6".

I'm still wet behind the ears as far as fly fishing goes, and ended up starting out using a low end Sage. The rod was not very forgiving for a novice caster. But, when I purchased by Carbon, the slower action made all the difference in the world, and I could feel the exact moment the rod was loading up to begin my forward motion.

The reason why my 7'6" 3 weight is my favorite is just because of how much use it gets. In SoCal, our few streams/creeks have canopies of willow and other riparian trees which makes having a 9 foot rod a headache.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:24 pm

All of mine :whistle: but if I had to pick one... my Sage One 13'6" 8 wt. An incredible rod that is powerful, light and sensitive.

Just got into the two-hand game last summer for a trip out East after attending a spey casting instruction clave the Fall before.

Unfortunately I only got to take it out once this past fall and used the 12'6" 7 wt. I had in the summer and early fall for warm water river species like bass and silver bass.

The first fish caught on my two-hander was a stocker rainbow of about 12" :doh: no fight whatsoever and I was so frustrated that I ended up just single-hand casting to it.

On my trip out East for Atlantic salmon, I did manage to hook into a sea run brook trout and one atlantic weighing approximately >25lbs. --- a huge fish. I fought him for about 10 minutes. It was absolutely exhilarating: powerful runs, big "jumps" (more like thrashes/splashes because of its size). Just plain awesome. The rod handled it beautifully for the short time before the hook popped (my fault for not keeping pressure or a tight line). Hoping to hook a steelhead in a couple weeks once I clear my schedule a bit, and then another atlantic (and hopefully land it) in July.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Wolbugger knows but others might not. When I'm flyfishing, pretty much all I do is throw shooting heads or integrated shooting head lines for striped bass. The fast sinking head (T-14) is the most used setup. Usually I'm fishing on the Delta.

For what I do, I'd have to say it is either the NRX Saltwater or Sage Xi3. Really difficult to pick between the 8wt or 9wt. Usually, I can get away with an 8wt with about 315 -330gr heads. When the wind is up, which it often is, it is much easier to go to the 9wt.

If you really make me pick just one, I'd go with the NRX 1089-4 with the Sage Xi3 990-4 a close second. I'm picking the 9wt because it will allow me to fish in more conditions. The NRX has more power and more reserve power, than the Xi3. It is a slightly faster rod but it still gives me good feel. I feel that the taper and reserve power allow me to recover a little easier when I don't have my timing just right.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:49 am

So....since I posted the above, I've had the opportunity to cast a few rods. As I said, the NRX rods are my top choice. I own them in both 8wt & 9wt. Right now, I find myself one 8wt rod short so, to reaffirm that the NRX is the rod for me, I thought I better actually cast a few of the top choices.

Late last week, I cast the Sage ONE, Sage Xi3 and NRX 8wt rods (all 9' single hand) with 30' T-11/running line combo. Neither the NRX or Xi3 were a surprise. Both cast well with the NRX displaying more power and forgiveness. Casting the ONE, I needed to be more patient or the cast completely fell apart on me. One of the things I often need to work on is patience when casting a fly rod. When I timed it right, the ONE casts great. It also had great line feel but I was really fighting my natural cast. It could be that I'm just so used to casting my NRX.

This morning, I cast the Sage Method 8wt with the same 30' T-11 head/running line combo. Honestly, I was worried that my meager skills were going to make me look bad with this rod in hand. It is billed as being extra fast and very powerful. Usually, in a flyrod, you need to have your timing exactly right to cast a rod like that. It immediately felt right in my hand. I was able to throw the same distance or further than I did using the other rods. Honestly, it felt almost effortless. Not only was the distance good but the loop control and size was excellent for me. As the loop passed me, the line wasn't 'vibrating'. Rather it was smooth indicating to me that my timing was in sync with the rod. More line feel than my NRX using the same line & reel.

I know the Method isn't for everybody. I've read where people feel the need to upline the rod so they can cast short with some 'feel'. I don't worry about throwing short. We're casting in the wind and a 50' cast is short. I know that throwing these heavy shooting heads for stripers is a highly specialized niche in the world of fly fishing. That being said, if you're throwing heavy shooting heads or integrated lines like the Rio Outbound Shorts, you owe it to yourself to try out a Method.

Hoping to order one next week....... :D

Wolbugger
Angler
Angler

Post by Wolbugger » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Nice posts so far guys!

Civicrr....I have been fishing a Method 7 weight for about four months now and it is incredible. It feels like a match stick in hand and casts beautifully both short and long. I've been fishing it with an 8 weight Rio Tropical--haven't tried a 7 line on it yet.

Wolbugger

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Wolbugger wrote:Nice posts so far guys!

Civicrr....I have been fishing a Method 7 weight for about four months now and it is incredible. It feels like a match stick in hand and casts beautifully both short and long. I've been fishing it with an 8 weight Rio Tropical--haven't tried a 7 line on it yet.

Wolbugger
Is that going to be your next review? Love to hear your thoughts on it. Just picked up the 8wt Method. Hoping to get into a few fish with it Tuesday. :D

Wolbugger
Angler
Angler

Post by Wolbugger » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:17 am

The Method 7 is a gem. Very lightweight and unlike the TCX rods I've thrown it does well in close. Like any fly rod series, I've heard there are a couple models that are just "ok", but most agree the 7 is one of, if not THE best in the series. I may put together a review on it but I'd like to get some new brands reviewed on here.

-Wolbugger

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:21 am

This is a more difficult question than just about any regarding fishing gear for me...

For trout rods I am more of traditionalist. A good trout fly rod will always be a good trout rod. The Winston WT and LT series are still by far my favorite graphite trout rods. There is a truly special one in each weight. I also have a wonderful glass Winston 4wt.

My current go to trout rod is my 7'9" for 5 quad Sweetgrass cane, no words can describe fishing with this work of art, its hard for me to pick anything else up the moment.

For heavier weight rods the Winston Biix 7wt is unreal, Sage Xi2 8 & 9wts are are high performance. I could go on and on, I cant pick one!

But overall if I had to select a brand it would be Winston and particularly their traditional tapers ;)

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:59 am

My favorite is my Sage VXP 9'6" 8 wt. I use this rod when the weeds get a little thick in the carp pond. Casts well in short for the sweet quick shots, and then can blast a 60 footer with just a few back casts. Then once you are hooked up she can handle large fish in the 20-35 pound range.

Next is my St. Croix Bankrobber 9' 6wt. This rod can chuck some serious meat. Great Smallmouth stick. And then one day a storm was rolling in and the wind was blowing hard in my face. The carp were feeding in a shallow bay. My normal carp 6 wt didn't have the line speed to fight the wind. So I went and got the Bankrobber. I was greatly surprised at how well it handled the fish, to the point where it is my main carp rod.

Now I just need a 4 wt, I am thinking an Echo Shadow II 10'6".

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36 am

civicrr wrote:Just picked up the 8wt Method. Hoping to get into a few fish with it Tuesday. :D
Just read an online review and it said the 8 wt. fishes better with a 9 wt. line! NRX 9 wt. or Method 8 wt. to tackle the saltwater inshore duties.

Was about to pull the trigger on the 9' 9 wt. Method or 11'9" 7 wt. Method (have been playing with a few at the local shop) but was able to snag a 9' 9 wt. Proaxis and 11' 7 wt. Helios last night instead. Can't wait to try these out soon! Spring is coming :laugh1: once some of the snow disappears and the rivers drop a bit I'll head out to test out the Proaxis on some river fish. *EDIT: I just need a line for it... what do you guys recommend? Freshwater (for now) - steelhead and salmon in the Fall, bass and pike in the summer. I would only like to buy one line.
Last edited by rubs96 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 am

civicrr wrote:For what I do, I'd have to say it is either the NRX Saltwater or Sage Xi3. Really difficult to pick between the 8wt or 9wt. Usually, I can get away with an 8wt with about 315 -330gr heads. When the wind is up, which it often is, it is much easier to go to the 9wt.
Are you using the Rio Outbound Short integrated lines? I just picked up a couple versileaders and one polyleader to try out. I've only tried the head/tip system on my two-hand rod. Those are fun to cast :lol:

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:32 pm

On the 8wt rods:
30' T-11 head with Airflo Ridge Running Line for the fast sinking line. Rio Outbound Short for Intermediate line. Probably pull the trigger on a OBS S3 line soon.

On the 9wt rods:
28' T-14 head with Airflo Ridge Running line for the fast sinking line. Rio OBS for Intermediate & Floating.

I've tried various Airflo Sniper lines but felt the OBS lines helped turn over the big flies better.

So far, I've only cast the Method 8wt with 30' of T-11. Felt great. Plenty of power to really send it out there.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 am

civicrr wrote:On the 8wt rods:
30' T-11 head with Airflo Ridge Running Line for the fast sinking line. Rio Outbound Short for Intermediate line. Probably pull the trigger on a OBS S3 line soon.

On the 9wt rods:
28' T-14 head with Airflo Ridge Running line for the fast sinking line. Rio OBS for Intermediate & Floating.

I've tried various Airflo Sniper lines but felt the OBS lines helped turn over the big flies better.

So far, I've only cast the Method 8wt with 30' of T-11. Felt great. Plenty of power to really send it out there.
Nice... but are you using the tips as the heads? direct to running line?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:38 pm

rubs96 wrote:]

Nice... but are you using the tips as the heads? direct to running line?
If you are asking about the T-11 & T-14, then yes. I use them as the 'heads'. I buy the length I need from the local fly shop. I put braided mono loop on the ends of the T-11/T-14 sections. One end I attached loop to loop with the Airflo Ridge running line. The other end gets attached loop to loop with a straight section of 20lb fluoro or mono. Stripers aren't line shy so I'm not worried about the heavy leader. The flies are pretty heavy so the leader lays out just fine.

On the Rio Outbound Short, I am buying the actual (complete) line not the newly released heads.