Fly Fishing Yellowstone

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Fly Fishing Yellowstone

Post by DarkShadow » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:26 am

Anybody taken a road trip and fly fished within the park?

Experiences? Advice?

I'm shooting for the first full week of August, but am flexible up to this point, since lodging and travel information is still being determined.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fly Fishing Yellowstone

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:32 am

We went through there on our honeymoon a few years ago. I stopped and fished a few times for an hour or so here and there. Had one great session fishing heavy nymphs catching big whitefish and most sessions produced a few cutthroats, never did get any brookies, I expect walking off road a bit to a more remote place could have given me a chance at them. Plenty of great fishing opportunities in and around Yellowstone and the Tetons. You'll have a great time.

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:51 am

I fished YS a few years ago in august. Did not flyfish but I used some jerkbait (sinking and suspending). Great place, a lot of nice and beautiful fish caught everyday, mostly cutthroats, cutbows and browns. The lake is great to for big cutthroats and lake trouts.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:42 am

Yeah, the planning has turned into a web of variables that I'm currently deciphering.

I'm not much of a stillwater fly fisherman, but those are options worth analyzing.

So far, I was planning on camping, until I realized that I would rather rent a cabin for a week and call that base camp for a week. The cabin looks to be near the western entrance of the park.

Now, to drive up there (from LA) or fly and rent a car? Thank goodness this is planned for August....

summers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by summers » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Fly into Jackson hole WY, they have a few fly shops in and around town so you can get some local know how, then rent a car, and drive in. If you are going to be there, for week think about a half-day guide and learn bunch of info about other place to fish inside and outside the park. As a heads up Yellowstone has its own fishing license on top the state license and they have a no lead ban inside the entire park that also means lead wire wrap nymphs.

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:45 pm

You picked a great time of year. The big fish are hitting hoppers in the meadows and there is nothing better. Look at a list of rivers and go to the one you have never heard of. Chances are no one else will have heard of it either and the fishing will still be amazing!