Ultralight fly rod

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Ultralight fly rod

Post by JWR075 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 pm

I am getting ready to head to some headwaters for a little trout fishing. I have been contemplating getting a UL fly outfit. I have the reel in mind (a Evolution LT Reel Green #0) Looking for a 6' to 6'6". The rods I have looked at so far are the St Croix Avid A663.4 and the Orvis Clearwater 2 weight. Which would you prefer in a very small stream (at widest 8 foot) and lots of rhododendron and very spooky wild trout.

razvan
Angler
Angler

Re: Ultralight fly rod

Post by razvan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:58 pm

the classic series 6ft6in 2wt south fork paired with 1 weight line. You'll use it with some other occasion as well, even in the cold months. Different conditions, different line weight? Would take it. The blank is made by Lamiglas. If the reel of choice was a sage click / daiwa bj75, maybe the rod material and the recommended manufacturer were different too. In that length though, I don't see something smoother and better suited than the sfrc rod/blank especially in the summer days and thick rhododendron.

Wolbugger
Angler
Angler

Post by Wolbugger » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:06 pm

If you want something really crazy-light, check out the Temple Fork Finesse 0.5 weight rod....nope, that's not a typo!

Wolbugger

razvan
Angler
Angler

Post by razvan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Wolbugger wrote:Temple Fork Finesse 0.5 weight rod....nope, that's not a typo!
That tiny thing works fine but takes a 2 wt line. I think their 2 weight finesse model takes 2 wt too.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:36 am

I have an 8' 2wt from TFO that I got when they were discontinuing that model a few years back. It seems nice enough. Too long for you maybe?

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:02 pm

cst wrote:I have an 8' 2wt from TFO that I got when they were discontinuing that model a few years back. It seems nice enough. Too long for you maybe?
I have tried an 8' and even though I liked the ability to cast further but had many hang-ups due to the tight overhead canopy.

On a side note, as any one used an Echo rod. I have an opportunity to get either a Echo Carbon 273 or 366. The reviews seem good but looking for some 1st hand knowledge of them. Also what about Borger reels, good or a waste.

razvan
Angler
Angler

Post by razvan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:33 am

Only you would know how light is your ultralight and what suits you better. Though, aside from some preferences and opinions, I guess much is about power: If you like to or have to cast by letting out less line than usual before the final acceleration and release, then a 366 would do that with a 4 weight line, the rod is generally happy with a weight of 3 and 1/3, but being short and having to cast in close, a heavy line is the only thing that tames it.

You'll have to cast with more line out than usual if the choice would be the 273, but the bright side is that the rod takes a 2 weight line / happy with a line weight of 2 and 1/4. Your height and the length of your hands would count though, but this thing helps a lot if you actually fish different types of line or different brands of the same weight and found some grain differences. I don't see a 2 wt as ultralight. A short aln is nice enough for what you describe in the first post but will take a 1 weight line and will take a shorter length of it during the casts. The sfrc will need a 1 weight as well and you'll have to let a tad more line out at cast ( 1 and 1/10 actual power).

When casting up close, the line that would have to came past the rod tip - would have to be really short, which means, that heavier fly lines (bigger line weight) will be used. A heavier rated fly rod will use a more heavier line to cast short, which will ruin its finesse. These two 1 wt rods have better fabric for heavier fishing conditions and for easier and softer loops but they come with lesser sensitivity (as much as a lighter powered rod would be less sensitive than a heavier powered one but made from a higher material) which is also about preference. There are not many graphite rods that would be that light. Didn't want to make it sound like that, but you got the point. If there is room for lighter, I'd push anyone toward that path. That was it.

Light is stealthier, makes a great finesse candidate for the wary puppies and is a great pair of a more durable material that will be soft enough to protect lines, tippets and mouths. With ultralight gear, one would be able to actively fight the fish without worries and the landing happens usually faster and with lesser damage dealt to nature. I am afraid I don't have any (other) opinions about the manufactuers you have mentioned. I am a fan of tom morgan rodsmiths and a few other two or three small scale producers as I have always liked to search for the soul in a piece of rod, especially if it is a somewhat obscure brand.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:35 am

I fish a Scott F2 653/3 glass rod, casts with only a foot of line out. It's pretty expensive but the best short (6 1/2 foot) fly rod I've ever fished.