SAGE ONE review review & REEL QUESTION

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SAGE ONE review review & REEL QUESTION

Post by rubs96 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Thank you wolbugger for the great review! I look forward to these great fly reviews!

I have recently purchased a couple of rods... a 9' 5wt. and 10' 5wt. for my trout fishing and nymphing. I now need a reel to pair up with these rods. I'd rather have one reel for each rod but for now I'm looking for something to cover both duties (both rods will not be taken out at the same time).

I've looked at the Abel super 4n and really like it but it's just a bit out of my budget right now so I've researched the Hardy CLS 5000 quite a bit.

Would this reel do the job?

Pros and cons of the reel?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Wolbugger
Angler
Angler

Re: SAGE ONE review review & REEL QUESTION

Post by Wolbugger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:00 am

First off thanks for the compliment! Look for a noticeable increase of fly fishing reviews on the site this year.

As for reels, the Abel is definitely a great choice. If you can't locate an affordable 4N, try looking for just a Super 4 model. They are discontinued and should be lots cheaper. Pretty much the same reel just a slightly wider spool width (not diameter) and I believe very slightly heavier. Also have a look at their Creek series reels. Simple, cheap, and beautiful. Do note that they make use of the old school pawl click drag system...not a bad thing.

It sounds like you'll mainly be trout fishing so something high end isn't really a necessity. Sage makes some really interesting and very lightweight reels you may like. One reel I am a fan of in the $200 and under range is the Redington Delta 5/6. Very attractive design/specs and it performs very well....only negative being its in the 6 ounce range, which is my personal weight limit for 5 weight rods.

A final one to look at is the Alpha III by Allen flyfishing. No personal experience here, but a few friends own the discontinued Alpha II's and love the things.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:02 am

Dude you and those hardy reels :roll: :lol:

A few excellent choices:
Ross Evolution #2
Ross F1 #2
Islander IR4LA (click & pawl but just a beautiful simple reel, I have this one my cane)
Islander LX3.2
Lamson makes some very nice reels too, but I cant stand the clicker noises ](*,)

If I had to pick one 5wt reel though it would be the Tibor Tailwater CL ;)

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:38 am

DUZBASS wrote:Dude you and those hardy reels :roll: :lol:
The two rods I just bought are hardy's lol and my Spey setup will most likely be Zenith with fortuna lol
I can't get enough

Thanks for the info. I do like the f1 but I'd prefer something like that for a two hand rod!

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Wolbugger wrote:First off thanks for the compliment! Look for a noticeable increase of fly fishing reviews on the site this year.

As for reels, the Abel is definitely a great choice. If you can't locate an affordable 4N, try looking for just a Super 4 model. They are discontinued and should be lots cheaper. Pretty much the same reel just a slightly wider spool width (not diameter) and I believe very slightly heavier. Also have a look at their Creek series reels. Simple, cheap, and beautiful. Do note that they make use of the old school pawl click drag system...not a bad thing.

It sounds like you'll mainly be trout fishing so something high end isn't really a necessity. Sage makes some really interesting and very lightweight reels you may like. One reel I am a fan of in the $200 and under range is the Redington Delta 5/6. Very attractive design/specs and it performs very well....only negative being its in the 6 ounce range, which is my personal weight limit for 5 weight rods.

A final one to look at is the Alpha III by Allen flyfishing. No personal experience here, but a few friends own the discontinued Alpha II's and love the things.
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:21 am

Wolbugger wrote:First off thanks for the compliment! Look for a noticeable increase of fly fishing reviews on the site this year.
=D> =D>

Lot of good reels out there. I'm partial to Hatch reels. Unfortunately, a 3+ Finatic would still run $400 & a 4+ would be $450. Used to have all Abel but have switched over to Hatch these days.

A reel that I found pretty neat was by Aspen Reels. Honestly, I haven't used one but it looked to be a pretty high quality reel with a low price. Not quite as pretty as a Abel or Hatch but seems very well made.