NEW TO FLY FISHING-NEED HELP

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
derringer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

NEW TO FLY FISHING-NEED HELP

Post by derringer » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:03 pm

Hi. I've been an avid bass angler for about 15 years. I just learned how to use a fly rod. I never knew what I was missing. I've managed through a good teacher to master the art of casting. I am interested in learning how to fish shallow streams for large steelhead in PA. Some of these trout are over 15 lbs. All my life I've had to fish for them with spinning gear in the deeper water near the mouth (into L. Erie) using power bait. I would be lucky to catch one or two every fall. Meanwhile upstream, the fly fisherman would come up with 3 or 4 in a single outing!!! I'm looking to buy an inexpensive combo ($50 range). Should I buy 8' 5/6 wt, 8' 7/8 wt., 9' 5/6 wt, or 9'7/8? What kind of flies should I buy? Any advice on getting started is greatly appreciated.
Derringer

Brookie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: NEW TO FLY FISHING-NEED HELP

Post by Brookie » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:46 am

derringer,

I would recommend a 6 or 7wt. If the fish there are always big,
go with the 7wt. 9' rod.
Flies, you should really check with local guys on what flies
they use and try to match the hatch. A good source would
be local fly shops. Go talk to them about what others
are using successfully out there. But I seem to always
have luck with beadheads in darker colors under an indicator.

good luck!

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:40 pm

I would be prepared to spend more than 50 bucks on your set up. Have you ever spent 50 dollars on a spinning/rod and reel combo??

For flies you will probably have luck with glo bugs, caddis pheasant tail or wooly buggers.

Good luck,

Buzz

mrbigisbudgood
Angler
Angler

Post by mrbigisbudgood » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:34 am

You get what you pay for with a fly setup.

Sure, you can get away with fishing a $14 Shakespere spinning combo from Wal-Mart for a couple years, but a fly rod is a different story altogether.

Personally, I'd start out with a 6 weight. It's a good size which will cover your panfish and bass angling. A large bass is a hoot to bring in on a 6.

My uncle bought me a kit of about 15 flies for my b-day last year. I still use them, they work pretty well. That should at least get you started and give you an idea of what works.

Shimanoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimanoman » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:38 am

Hi Derringer; If you are looking for a good buy on fly tackle in your area, I would suggest your using your teacher/mentor as a resource person. He/She may very well be able to turn you on to a good source of used/previously owned tackle. If you are looking to purchase new,quality gear for $50 bear in mind that a quality fly line, plus leaders will kick a big hole in your budget!! Hope this helps. Regards,- Shimanoman

IdahoJoe
Angler
Angler

Post by IdahoJoe » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:58 pm

I can't help you with a setup for under $100, but some flys the work in Idaho are Egg Sucking Leech, WIGGLE BUG, Glow Bug, Freight train and the green or red butt skunks. Good luck man, hooking a steelhead on a fly is the easy part. Landing a big fish in current can be the tricky part. I'm still learning and I break off more fish than I catch.