Scott Fly Rod Help

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Scott Fly Rod Help

Post by Finnz922 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:32 pm

I used these on a guided trip in Colorado and liked them very much. They seemed to be light and pretty responsive. I asked our guide what he thought and he said he uses them almost exclusively for his personal use. He mentioned that they are a local favorite since they are made there. He also said that he is from Georgia and did not have experience until he moved to Colorado. I was wondering what you guys think. Which model would be good for a novice fly fisherman? It will be used for general dry fly and nymphing on small to medium rivers and streams. Possibly some lake fishing for panfish around town since I am far from any good streams and rivers.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Scott Fly Rod Help

Post by Big-Bass » Tue May 29, 2012 9:12 am

Scott fly rods are pretty popular in Colorado since they are made in Montrose. Telluride Angler carries a bunch and their website has a good deal of info on them. Each model on the website has a short explanation but if you are a beginner, the A4 model might be your best choice. If you can find one, you can also check out a discontinued A3 for a good price. I would get an 8'6" or 9" 5 weight to cover all of your needs. You could also get away with a 4 weight or 6 weight depending on the water you fish. My personal suggestion though would be the 865-4 or 905-4 for an all around good choice. I hope this helps.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Scott Fly Rod Help

Post by Finnz922 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for the info.