StCroix fly

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

StCroix fly

Post by gpoler » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:30 pm

Hello,
I'm planning to buy a 9' 6Wt fly rod and I'm choosing between StCroix Avid and Imperial ( price is not much different)
I didn't found much info about this rods ( StCroix is top rated in coventional fishing , but i didn't found much about their fly rods)
Any field impressions?
Last edited by gpoler on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: StCroix fly

Post by North Branch » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:05 am

Well, your in luck... or maybe not in luck. :D

I've been in the market for a less expensive fly rod. I narrowed my search down to a 9' 5wt Imperial or a 9' 5wt Winston Passport. Unfortunately, my local fly shop only had a 9' Imperial and a 9' Avid... no Passport. So, I got to try out the Imperial vs the Avid.

Anyhow there is a significant difference in action between the Imperial and the Avid. The Imperial is definitely a faster action rod than the Avid. Quite a difference in feel. Both are nice rods, but I prefer the faster action Imperial. If you like more of a moderate action, you will want the Avid. I still want to try a Passport, as I've heard it is also a fast action rod, and supposedly a slightly "smoother" and better casting rod than the Imperial... we'll see.

With that said, you are looking for a 6wt, so there might be a difference, but I doubt it.

Good luck.

gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gpoler » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 am

ok,
thanks for the infos
CANNONDALE USER!!!!!!!!!!!

gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gpoler » Mon May 14, 2012 2:39 am

hi,
I've bought an imperial 9#5, impressed by the blank action, good assembly and good components, just a little troubling with the reelseat, after some use in rainy days,.
not very stiff action, but a good blend of fastness and smoothness, the ideal blend for a trout rod.
...............now I'm plannig to buy also an Avid for dry fly.
CANNONDALE USER!!!!!!!!!!!