Fly Tying

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
bassripper2000
Angler
Angler

Fly Tying

Post by bassripper2000 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:50 am

Hey Guys

Wondering if anyone has any advice on fly tying kits. I need to know what the basic tools are to tie midges... I heard the vice has to be able to handle really small hooks... size 18-22 or so.

Any ideas on a good cheap vice?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fly Tying

Post by lpquick » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:09 am

Check out Renzetti vices for fly tying, they are expensive but you get what you pay for with them. I would look at Orvis for a beginners fly tying kit for basic tools and a great variety of material for tying. Check out your local area online for sporting shops which offer fly tying classes or get togethers, even if you don’t plan on joining it’s a great way to meet other local tiers whom can help you learn as you go. Last I would go to the library and get a few books on fly tying, to give you illustrations on all the basic steps and before you know it, you’ll be hooked. When I used to live in Colorado, I caught more fish on midges than anything else. Enjoy and good luck.
Last edited by lpquick on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Walk in to your local fly shop and talk to a worker, they would be glad to help! I ordered a Fireside kit from Hook & Hackle. The box is nifty but the vise was low-end. I've got a Regal knock-off from a friend and it's fantastic.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:07 pm

bassripper2000 wrote:Hey Guys

Wondering if anyone has any advice on fly tying kits. I need to know what the basic tools are to tie midges... I heard the vice has to be able to handle really small hooks... size 18-22 or so.

Any ideas on a good cheap vice?
well fist off a good and cheap vice doesnt really exist, especially for tying midges... and I for one have never liked the fly tying "kits". You are better off picking out tools, hooks, materials etc.

You will need a good pair of scissors, a good bobbin, and a small whip finish for midges. Thats about it really.

You would be much happier with a renzetti or dyna king, they will last you a lifetime and are worth their weight in gold.

check out feather-craft.com for all sorts of stuff
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:05 am

DUZBASS I doubt he could get away without a good pair of hackle pliers, don’t you think.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:12 am

lpquick wrote:DUZBASS I doubt he could get away without a good pair of hackle pliers, don’t you think.
certainly, for dries ;) just trying to be minimalist and you really dont need them, they just make life easier, the same could be said about the whip finish i guess, but i find it tough to hand whip midges.
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

bassripper2000
Angler
Angler

Post by bassripper2000 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Ok,

My buddy said he is going to let me borrow his vice... since he upgraded because it was no good for tying on the small hooks! LOL.. It'll at least get me started.

I'll pick up scissors, bobbin, and whip fishing tool along with some head cement. Hmmm... what are hackle pliers.. To be honest, I never fished dries yet but I intend to

My Fly fishing career has only consisted of midging off a float tube via an indicator on a lake. I'm a noob but I"m hooked! Thanks for the very useful info.

Any recommendations on brand for the hand tools?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:31 pm

bassripper2000 go to the following link:
https://catalog.theflyshop.com/product_ ... 03qo9usio7

The link will show you what I use for tiny midge size hackle. There are many different type of hackle pliers but they all do the same thing, which is a tool which grips the hackle feather. You tie in one end of the hackle feather, usually the tip. Move your thread to the position on the hook at which the hackle will end. Grab the hackle with the hackle pliers and depending on if you have a rotating vise, either wrap the hackle around the hook shank while ensuring each wrap is snuggled up against the previous wrap, or hold the hackle tight as you rotate the hook to wrap the hackle. Secure the hackle feather with a few wraps of thread and maybe a light dash of quick drying cement. Cut off the excess feather and trim if necessary. Before doing this you need to know if your going to tie the hackle shiny side forward or facing the rear and align the hackle to the hook shank so the feathers stick straight up and down, versus wet flies where both sides of the hackle feather is being stroked toward the rear of the fly as you wrap the hackle forward. Dry fly hackle are straight short hackle feathers which act as legs and keep the fly resting on the surface tension of the water while wet fly hackle are softer webbed feathers which act like legs and move or undulate in the water. I hope my shot at an explanation helps you understand. You definitely need to pick up a book or dvd to help explain the basics along with all the local terms of the tools and basic tying methods. I originally started to tie my own flies, 1st because I thought it would be kool and loved the idea of catching fish on something I made myself. 2nd I was obviously ignorant and believed I would save money while enjoying 1st reason. I got hooked and now easily spend five times what I would just buying the flies I need to use on each fishing trip. Theres so so many different feathers, tools, vices, dry cement, wet fly cement, lead in so many sizes, thread in different sizes and type etc., etc., etc. I only tell you this because many a person started tying flies to save money and in the end I know of no one which has succeeded. Just my two cents worth before you draw any preconceived conclusions, other wise ignore me and just have fun. Let us know how it goes, send lots of pictures.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

summers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by summers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 am

From one noob to the other I have been thinking of getting into tying my own flies as well, and so far what seams to be the best bang for your buck for vises looks like the peak rotary vise base camp w/midge. And after talking to a lot of other tiers at a local fly fishing club in town, every one always tells me do not skimp on your tools, buy the best you can afford once and they will last a lot longer then any tool kit.

Cost wise you figure an average of $2 per fly and all the fly tools $100, vise $250, and the material to tie about 50 flies $100, so for $450 you can have 50 of your own hand tied flies or you have have 225 flies you bought. Now on the other hand if you know that this is just not going to be some kind of fling then make the investment on the tools and the material and enjoy, because if that's the case its not about saving money its about enjoying a new hobby, and hobbies are never cheap. Its always hard to front the initial cost of that new hobby. But from what I have been told the feeling you get from catching a fish on your own hand tied fly is very addicting.
tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15843

Dabluz
Angler
Angler

Post by Dabluz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:42 pm

I've been making flies for over 35 years now. Yes, buy decent tools. You will save money in the long run. Definitely go to a fly tying shop and buy individual tools. The kits are often full of stuff that you will never use. The owner of the shop will certainly help you because a happy customer will return and one thing for sure, you will return very often.

You don't need to take a fly tying course. All the info you need is on the internet or in a good fly tying book.

On top of buying decent tools, buy good material and good hooks. The lowest quality hooks that your buy are made by Mustad however, you will soon graduate to better quality hooks.

You can make flies for a lot less than 2 dollars each. They also make great gifts if they are well made.

When tying small flies, you don't need to have many colours. The smaller the fly, the colour of the fly becomes less important. Use natural colours like brown, olive, grey. Brightly coloured flies are rare. Black is also a rare colour.....it's dark brown that you should use.

Fly tying is quite simple. There is only one technique that has to be learned properly and that's applying material to the hook shank. This same technique applies to all fly tying.

Paul W
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul W » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:57 pm

Good advice so far. Fly tying kits are ok, but as DUZBASS mentioned I like to just pick out everything seperately. Get as good a vice as you can afford. With that said, I have been tying for about 17 years now and use a cheapo vise! It works ok but not nearly as good as the newer, higher end ones. Necessary tools will be a bobbin (one with a ceramic or rounded-edge tube so it doesnt slice your thread while tying), a good sharp pair of scissors, bobbin threader, and whip finisher. There are tons of other gadgets out there that I simply don't find useful or are only helpful on more complicated patterns. Have fun and welcome to the world of fly tying =D>

Paul W
TackleTour Contributing Editor <*)))><

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Wed May 09, 2012 2:03 am

After 20 years of rolling my own I agree with the advice given above. As stated buy quality tools and buy them seperately. For a vise get the best you can afford. The Renzetti Traveller is a good bet, I have had one of these for years and use it as my streamside vise. For main use I run with an Abel, expensive but top of the tree. Had I bought quality to start with I would have saved a lot of time and money, not to mention the frustration that cheap vises give in spades.

Also avoid cheap feathers, especially if tying dries. Fibre is of inconsistent length and density, the taper is too steep and stalks have a nasty habit of fracturing at a critical moment. If funds permit, go for genetic hackle, grizzle, black and a red/brown/ginger will suffice.

Another thing to do is at the end of each tying stage, throw on a half hitch. That way if the thread snaps it will only untie to the last stage that you reached, and won't necessitate retying the whole fly.

Finally, beg, borrow, steal or as a last resort buy a copy of "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles". Authors are Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer. I will guarantee that it is the only book on tying that you will ever need.

Si

Dabluz
Angler
Angler

Post by Dabluz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:51 pm

Yes....a fly tying vise is probably the most important tool. I've tied thousands of flies all the way down to size 28 and all I have used were cheaper vises. They did ok. Yes....my flies are very well made.....I'm very particular about how my dry fly sits on the water.

I no longer make size 28 or 26 size dry flies because there is no need to. Size 24 is about as small I will go because they are just as effective as the smaller flies. I do make a lot of size 18 and 20 dry flies. I guess they are actually a little smaller than that because they are Partridge hooks that were made about 40 years ago. Much nicer than the Mustad hooks. I also have some size 18 Veniard hooks that are actually size 20 and they are also a good hook. I guess they are close to 60 years old....lol. Anyway, very small flies are actually quite easy to tie. You don't need to apply many different materials and the colour does not matter when tying very small flies however the quality of the materials is of outmost importance. Sure the material costs more money but you will be surprised at how many good flies you can tie. I just tie pale flies and dark flies when it comes to very small flies. I especially like flies that sit on the film of the water surface. They are very easy to make and you don't need expensive hackles for them. I use a dubbed body and very often only phentex for the splayed wings. The tail is only 2 or 3 long hackle fibers splayed out. Brook trout in my area just love size 20 to 24 reddish brown or black ants in the late part of the summer.

I just replaced my old inexpensive Thompson style vise with a Regal style vise that costs only 40 dollars. It's made by Crown. Check the internet using the words "Best fly tying vise for under 100 dollars" and you will find some decent vises. If you ever do buy an expensive vise, you can use the cheaper one for tying larger flies or you can sell it for almost the price you paid for it.