Tapered Leaders

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tapered Leaders

Post by THEGAME » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:19 am

Now for a different subject. I use tapered leaders, saltwater, in the 10 to 16 lb. sizes.I have been going through them like charmin. I hear of ppl who use the same leader all year. How is this posable with out leavig it in the closet. It seems every fishing trip I manage to mess at least 1 leader up.I either get knots in it ( which I am learning how not to do ) get nicks ( bad places in it ) or use up the small end of it by clipping it off when changing flies.I use a minimum of line when retying or changing flies. At $3.00 a pop this is starting to add up.I have already bought at least $30.00 worth this summer.I have found a place to get them a little cheaper, $2.50 ea. ( Acadamy ) but someone else know about it to.They are out most of the time.Does anyone know of an alturnitive or a place to get leaders in bulk cheap. Can I tie a new tippet on the end of these an expect it to hold up under high stress.

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Re: Tapered Leaders

Post by Buzz » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:47 am

What type of game are you targeting and how big are the fish and what bugs are you throwing?? #-o

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:19 pm

I fish for Red fish, trout, and other warm water salt species. They range from palm sized fish to 30+ pounders.I use clousers, shrimp, crab patterns and poppers.

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:01 pm

You can tie a new tippet on the end and expect it to hold up undder high stress if you can tie a good not. I would recomend a triple surgeon. however, keep in mind when you start tying new tipets on it is best to step down gradually. For instance, don't go from 15lb. to 8lb. you have to step down gradually like 15-12-10-8. Then only the 8 lb. knot should break and with a new tippet spool of 8lb, you will go to that to tie on, instead of having to rig a new leader.

Tight Lines,

Buzz.

DoktorT
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by DoktorT » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:18 am

Well, it is obvious you are not finesse casting No. 20 drys. All you need is to make up your own leaders for big flys/poppers for big fish. Try a 1.5 foot butt of 40 lb, then 2 feet of 30 then 2 feet of 20, then tie on a tippet of 16 lb and replace that as required. For ten pound tippet, use 30lb butt, then 20 then 15 then 10 lb tippet.

The only issue with hand tapers is, the knots will pick up algae and must be kept clean. Not an issue in clean waters. Otherwise, you can tie just your heavy tapered leaders and tie on tippets and use them. But if you are casting from shore into rocky areas, buying lines and making your own will save you lots of bucks.

I might even use just a 20 or 25 lb line only and tie on tippets. In fact, I would try that and if it works for the big bugs and bait fish imitations, why not??

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:04 am

Thanks for the Info. I will try these suggestions.

pluto
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by pluto » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:47 pm

Hi,
Just another tip that may help.I use a 9ft polyleader (12LB TEST LOOP) on the tapered end,then a piece of sacrificial 8lb test, (this section can be replaced any time without damaging the loop as it is a loop to loop system)maybe 3ft long,then add a 4 ft section of 6x or 5x to the end of that.This works very well for both dry fly fishing and nymph fishing here in NZ.It also turns over very well.I think that the same system will work as well, regardless of what weight line you are casting.
Also, if you are having trouble with knots etc,make sure that if you are tying mono to flouro, that you wet the knot with saliva before you tighten it.I try to only tie mono to mono and flouro to flouro as a rule,
Regards,
Pluto