More Problems

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

More Problems

Post by THEGAME » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:28 pm

Ok I was having some problems with getting knots in the leader during fly casting.SO I got some advise . They told me to be sure and let the back cast straighten out before fireing forward with the forward cast.Now the knots are better, lines speed seems to be faster, distance a little better but my line will hit the tip of the rod every so often.And that messes every thing up .
Any suggestions?

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Re: More Problems

Post by Buzz » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:36 pm

There are a few ways to keep this from happening. One is you might want to try lowering your rod tip a little more when punching it forward. When I say lower the rod tip, I mean just barely, because a couple of inches will make all the difference in the world. Lowering it too far could mean that the middle section of your line hits the water first robbing your weight forward section of momentum.

Also, If you are picking strait up and strit down on the rod for your cast, you can also try lifting you rod away from your body. This will change the axis of your line just enough to not let your loop catch the tip.
Again a subtle change will make a big difference so start with small adjustments.

Regardless of what you try, your line should not be getting caught up. If it is then you need to change your style and mechanics. If I were to cast 100 times, only a couple would get caught up as you have described. When I do get caught up is when I have alot of line out, and my timing gets off.

Let me know how this works!! :lol:

Tight LInes,

Buzz.

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: More Problems

Post by THEGAME » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:41 am

Hey thanks for the advise.The problem seems to be getting much better.