looking to get into fly fishing

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

looking to get into fly fishing

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey guys,

Ive been fishing for awile now, but still havent tried fly fishing. I love ultralight fishing its pretty much the most fun way to catch a fish IMO...but of course I havent tried fly fishing..yet..

Just curious if you guys had any ideas on a good "beginner's" fly rod/reel/line/flies...mostly fishing for bass, but of course its whatever bites.....

Any advice is welcome as well :D
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Stephan Bohm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: looking to get into fly fishing

Post by Stephan Bohm » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:53 pm

I tried fly fishing this year with mixed results. It was fun, but I mostly relied on conventional tackle if I wanted to catch bass and only used the fly rod for panfish. My most memorable catch was a 9" golden shiner on a small dry fly. I use an 8' 5 weight combo I bought from cabelas for $80 which is a little light for bass but makes sunfish fun. You should probably start with a cheap, light rod to learn the basics and decide if you want to take it to the next level. If you do, invest in a quality 7 or 8 weight rod better suited to bass and enter a new dimension of fishing. My only advice is to keep practicing and don't stop, and to watch your line. I broke off the one decent smallie I hooked up with by stepping on my line ](*,)

Hope this helped and good luck!

FishBlock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishBlock » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:36 pm

I just started to really get into fly fishing not too long ago. I have a 9' 5 weight Powell fly rod and reel combo I picked up from a local tackle shop for about $130. In my opinion, I think it is easier for you to start off with a longer rod. The longer rod just seems to make casting a lot easier to control. I use Maxima 15lb leader line untapered and that seems to be doing me good. Another important factor is having good fly line. You do not have to have the most expensive fly line, but good quality I shall say. For flies, a wooleybugger is a universal fly that will catch almost any species, I believe if you present it correctly. There are also flies that immitate crawdads or leeches that can also be very effective. Also, you will not always be consistantly catching bass or even trout like you would a casting or spinning rod, but just be patient because when you do it will be all worth while; they are priceless memories. I've caught a handful of largemouth bass ranging from 1-4lb at a local pond on my rod and let me tell you this, there is no other feeling better than seeing your rod bent over forming a perfect "U" shape. Hope this kind of helps. Good luck and tight lines.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:09 am

If you plan to target mostly bass, an 8 or 9 weight 9-footer will give you the ability to cast the size flies that target bass. The 9-weight will cast the more wind-resistant flies better and move fish out of weedy areas better, but would reduce the pleasure of bringing in smaller bass and the occasional panfish, and of course will weigh more.

If you increase your odds of catching larger aggressive panfish by using only smaller bass flies, but still don't plan to spend significant time casting panfish flies, then a 7-weight will do.

You will have better luck getting your leader to turn over (i.e., to deliver the fly at the end of the cast with the leader straightened out) with medium-to-large wind-resistant flies if you use a tapered leader with a tippet of 12 lb. test or stronger.

Don't worry about reel weight; for bass fly-fishing, a heavier reel helps balance the outfit.

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:28 am

If you're into UL fishing and would like to target bass with a flyrod, a 6/7 wt rod would be perfect for that. Make sure you choose WF line, as it is easier to cast.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 am

excellent points made here. I will be on the look out for a decent inexpensive fly combo....after I get my custom rod, and roof rack ](*,)

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:34 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:excellent points made here. I will be on the look out for a decent inexpensive fly combo....after I get my custom rod, and roof rack ](*,)
I started with a cheap Field and Stream 9' wt and a decent reel. Orvis makes some great reels that are relatively inexpensive. How much were you looking to spend for an outfit?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 pm

if i can help it...100 or less haha. I know this is TT, but honestly if i dont like it I dont want to have blown a crap load of cash...

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:46 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:if i can help it...100 or less haha. I know this is TT, but honestly if i dont like it I dont want to have blown a crap load of cash...
Get a cheap used rod and a decent reel. I find that having a reel with a decent drag and a sub-par rod is better than a new nice rod and a cheap reel. If the reel can't handle the run of the fish, how will the rod make up for it? If the rod can't handle a fish, the reel WILL make up for it. I recently landed a 27.75" Steelhead here in VT on a cheap $30 5 wt because my Albright Tempest I has a great drag and kept steady pressure. Hour long fight on a 5 wt that I'm sure I wouldn't have landed with a cheap reel.

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Daniel, take a look at some Albright products. They're not SUPER well-known but a pro guide I met in VT has worked with them for years and swears by their products. They're currently having a huge sale and you can probably pick up a nice quality outfit for around $120. They have some top-of-the-line products including rods that retail for well over $1,000. I'm running an Albright Tempest I reel and it's been amazing for me. Perfectly smooth drag, couldn't ask for any better. Check them out before the sale ends.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:07 am

If you are only planning to use it for bass and panfish, with leaders heavier than most of the fish you will be catching (to turn over the bass flies), your reel wouldn't even need to have a drag. It just needs to hold line. Steelhead are something else.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:37 am

I will be catching (or attempting to catch) LM bass in freshwater....but also reds, trout, possibly stripers? in inshore water....

I know there isnt ONE fly rod that does it all...I am most likely gong to start with a very inexpensive rod for bass...once I get the hang of it I will move onto big boy fly fishing for redfish.

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:57 am

Bronzeye wrote:If you are only planning to use it for bass and panfish, with leaders heavier than most of the fish you will be catching (to turn over the bass flies), your reel wouldn't even need to have a drag. It just needs to hold line. Steelhead are something else.
You think some of the record LM could be landed on reels without drags? Bass do get quite large and can be explosive. Not to mention he probably has access to Saltwater fishing and may get into it. Couldn't hurt to get a decent salt reel.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:12 pm

The original poster, heretofore an ultralight fan, didn't say anything about chasing world records, and in his post before your last one said he wants to start with an inexpensive rig for bass. He previously posted that he wants to buy the entire outfit for $100 or so, so that if he doesn't like it he hasn't spent that much.

Bass don't run fast or far. With a 9-foot spring, the ability to apply drag directly to the fly line with one's fingers, and a leader tapering from maybe 40 lb. test down to 12, I am guessing that an experienced angler like ecu daniel should be able to land most of the bass he hooks without relying on the reel's drag. If he does need a drag, I don't think of bass as fish that will punish him for buying a cheap reel without a top-of-the-line drag, and even the cheapest fly reels probably have a drag of some sort.

Personally, I'd put more of limited dollars into a slightly lighter rod (which matters at 9 feet of length) and go cheap on the starter reel. Seems to me that since he'll spend much more time casting than fighting world record fish, he's more likely to find he enjoys fly fishing if he puts the majority of the money into the rod.

Just my view.
Last edited by Bronzeye on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:16 pm

easy guys...

Ive landed stripers on UL tackle before I dont need huge drag. Nobody does. You just need patience. Ive landed a 35LB + sting ray on 10 lb line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuR4rxJr ... AAAAAAAFAA

check 1:40 in