looking to get into fly fishing

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: looking to get into fly fishing

Post by Matt » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Bronzeye wrote:The original poster, heretofore an ultralight fan, didn't say anything about chasing world records, and in his post before your last one said he wants to start with an inexpensive rig for bass. He previously posted that he wants to buy the entire outfit for $100 or so, so that if he doesn't like it he hasn't spent that much.

Bass don't run fast or far. With a 9-foot spring, the ability to apply drag directly to the fly line with one's fingers, and a leader tapering from maybe 40 lb. test down to 12, I am guessing that an experienced angler like ecu daniel should be able to land most of the bass he hooks without relying on the reel's drag. If he does need a drag, I don't think of bass as fish that will punish him for buying a cheap reel without a top-of-the-line drag, and even the cheapest fly reels probably have a drag of some sort.

Personally, I'd put more of limited dollars into a slightly lighter rod (which matters at 9 feet of length) and go cheap on the starter reel. Seems to me that since he'll spend much more time casting than fighting world record fish, he's more likely to find he enjoys fly fishing if he puts the majority of the money into the rod.

Just my view.
Most of the people who get world records get it fishing without the expectation of getting a world record. Am I saying he'll hook into a world record? no. But if he wants to fish an UL setup I'm guessing he won't be using a 12 wt rod for LM. You're probably right about not having a reel that has a decent drag. I don't normally fish for LM but when I do think of it, the norm people who fish for them use way heavier gear than needed, like 12 LB leaders, and then horse the fish into the boat and/or on shore. I say get a 2x4 and tie some 50 lb mono on to the end, you'll save money if you're only fishing for LM. :lol:

Paul W
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul W » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Daniel,

Cabela's is a great source for getting an entire combo together. Just about all of their rods are very competent casters....the L-Tech and LSi rods will actually give the big names a run for their money both in terms of performance and craftsmanship, not to mention they carry a fine warranty. As a starting point, I would look for a 7 weight rod with a mod-fast to fast action. This will handle most Bass you will run into, and small ones will still be fun. It will also have the punch needed to cast a bulkier fly in some wind. It is best to at least start out with a rod that is not ultra cheap. The real cheap ones will often be heavy and have very sloppy actions which may frustrate you early.
A weight forward floating line is most likely what you'll use most since most Bass fly fishing is done in shallower water. It is also the easiest line to learn to cast. If you need to fish a little deeper, you can get into sink tip or full sinking lines later on. 2 great lines that are very affordable are the Rio Mainstream, or Cabelas Prestige.
For reels, I would just go cheap for now. Any thing with at least a disc-drag system is preferred. Light saltwater fishing shouldn't be an issue either. In my opinion, a high tech drag isn't totally necessary for many species and situations.
There are a ton of great Bass flies out there. A few of my favorites are Dahlberg Divers, Crease Flies, large Wooly Buggers, and rabbit strip eels just to name a few.
Keep in mind you won't be good at fly casting right away! Many people get frustrated really quickly but it takes time. It's also generally more expensive and technical so be prepared. With that said, it's also totally addicting!

Paul W
TackleTour Contributing Editor <*)))><

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:40 am

awesome, thanks for the heads up on Cabela's gear.

When I first started using casting gear it was frustrating too. I am pretty patient and persistent. I dont think I will put it down until I get it. Once i get it, i still wont put it down :lol:
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:44 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:awesome, thanks for the heads up on Cabela's gear.

When I first started using casting gear it was frustrating too. I am pretty patient and persistent. I dont think I will put it down until I get it. Once i get it, i still wont put it down :lol:
I find that the smaller the flies the easier it is to cast. If you plan on throwing BIG flies try getting some line 1 size bigger than your reel specifies so its easier to throw bigger flies.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 pm

I first started fly fishing a little over a year ago now. My intent was to pursue LM but Stripers have become an obsession. Easy guys, that is 'striped bass' - :lol: I fish both with a 8wt rod. When it gets really windy, using the large striper flies (5" or more), I'll step up to the 9wt. With the 9wt, the heavier shooting heads make it easier and safer to cast.

Here is some stuff I learned along the way.

Coming from conventional gear fishing, I find 'fast' rods easier to use. I just find it easier to get the right timing with fast rods. While 'fast' rods & forgiving didn't used to be considered in the same sentence, modern rods can be both.

When you actually cast correctly, it is a lot easier on your muscles. You can flail away & work hard or you can cast properly & let the rod do the work.

Think about the fly that will be used. Figure out the weight line needed to throw those flies & buy the rod (weight) accordingly.

Shooting heads and/or integrated shooting head lines are easier to learn casting with....to a degree. To achieve long casts (striper fishing) you only need to get the head out (typically 30' or less) to shoot (cast). The negative is that your rod has to be fast (& powerful) enough to handle the weight of the head.

For most LM & Stripers, a reel isn't much more than a line holder. You're gonna need the fish to be 5lb or more for it to earn the drag. If they're smaller than that, you'll basically just strip line in to get them to the boat.

Given the above, spend the majority of your budget on the rod.

Everybody will tell you to test cast the rods you think you want to buy. If you do, use the line you think you'll be using (at least the same grain weight). If a rod casts great with line x but you really need line y to cast your flies, you just got the wrong rod.

It is really hard to tell what rod works until you A) know what you actually need & B) know how to cast.
Consider taking at least an intro lesson from a casting instructor. I'm self taught. I could have saved a lot of time, frustration & money if I had taken a lesson!

Always wear glasses when fly fishing. Crap happens. You don't want that crap to cost you your vision.

When a cast starts to go bad, it might be better to stop & start over. If you try to 'save' a cast.....crap can happen.

Even with all that stuff that I learned, mostly the hard way, fly fishing is very rewarding. Getting the cast right is a reward in itself. As a flyfisherman, you can often catch fish when the conventional guys can't. The take (bite) & fight on a fly rod is a completely different experience vs conventional gear. Both are really fun but the take on a fly rod can't be beat.

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:26 pm

civicrr wrote:I first started fly fishing a little over a year ago now. My intent was to pursue LM but Stripers have become an obsession. Easy guys, that is 'striped bass' - :lol: I fish both with a 8wt rod. When it gets really windy, using the large striper flies (5" or more), I'll step up to the 9wt. With the 9wt, the heavier shooting heads make it easier and safer to cast.

Here is some stuff I learned along the way.

Coming from conventional gear fishing, I find 'fast' rods easier to use. I just find it easier to get the right timing with fast rods. While 'fast' rods & forgiving didn't used to be considered in the same sentence, modern rods can be both.

When you actually cast correctly, it is a lot easier on your muscles. You can flail away & work hard or you can cast properly & let the rod do the work.

Think about the fly that will be used. Figure out the weight line needed to throw those flies & buy the rod (weight) accordingly.

Shooting heads and/or integrated shooting head lines are easier to learn casting with....to a degree. To achieve long casts (striper fishing) you only need to get the head out (typically 30' or less) to shoot (cast). The negative is that your rod has to be fast (& powerful) enough to handle the weight of the head.

For most LM & Stripers, a reel isn't much more than a line holder. You're gonna need the fish to be 5lb or more for it to earn the drag. If they're smaller than that, you'll basically just strip line in to get them to the boat.

Given the above, spend the majority of your budget on the rod.

Everybody will tell you to test cast the rods you think you want to buy. If you do, use the line you think you'll be using (at least the same grain weight). If a rod casts great with line x but you really need line y to cast your flies, you just got the wrong rod.

It is really hard to tell what rod works until you A) know what you actually need & B) know how to cast.
Consider taking at least an intro lesson from a casting instructor. I'm self taught. I could have saved a lot of time, frustration & money if I had taken a lesson!

Always wear glasses when fly fishing. Crap happens. You don't want that crap to cost you your vision.

When a cast starts to go bad, it might be better to stop & start over. If you try to 'save' a cast.....crap can happen.

Even with all that stuff that I learned, mostly the hard way, fly fishing is very rewarding. Getting the cast right is a reward in itself. As a flyfisherman, you can often catch fish when the conventional guys can't. The take (bite) & fight on a fly rod is a completely different experience vs conventional gear. Both are really fun but the take on a fly rod can't be beat.
Very well said!!!! Fly fishing has been VERY rewarding for me this year. I skipped fly fishing for trout and started with the Steelhead here in VT. I'd probably been fly fishing less than 5 times before bringing out my gear a month ago on the rivers here in VT. My very first Steelhead was 24.5" which I got swinging a huge streamer....it felt so rewarding to feel that tug first and then to net the fish after a long hard battle, I was ecstatic. My personal best Steelehead was a 27.75" (which is huge by VT standards) I landed on a 5 wt just a few weeks ago! Was the longest and most memorable fight I've had to date. Many anglers on the river I fish have a hard time catching half a dozen Steelhead in a few months on spin gear, yet I've managed to land 3 in the past few weeks on a fly over 24" (avg VT Steelhead being 17-21" or so) There's just something about presenting flies into the water with a flyrod that is rewarding in itself. When your line lays on the water perfectly you get a warm feeling. Then if that perfect cast results in a fish, the fish is almost only a bonus! I spent an hour today on the water just throwing a little weightless egg pattern in 12 ft of water to get that feeling of a perfect cast knowing I have no chance of having a fish take an egg pattern on the top of the water when it was 12 ft deep and cranking. I didn't care about that though, I just liked watching and feeling the fly get placed gently on the water. I'm slowly upgrading my fly gear but won't down the spinning gear, but will definitely have a fly rod in my hand half the time I'm on the water. Whether using an indicator or not, there is something magical about either watching your indicator plunge under, your floating line either stop drifting, or you feel that tug on your sinking line that keeps you coming back for more! At least that's how I see it. I'd trade 1 fish on a fly for 5 on my spin setup anyday. Needless to say, I'm completely hooked and can't wait until Spring to target the Spring run Steelhead and the Smallmouth run.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:27 am

Ohhh daniel, you are getting yourself into a world of pain my friend ;) $100 combo and few fish later you will be looking at buying a few $700+ rods and $300+ reels... seen it plenty of times as I managed a fly fly shop for a few years... It is an incredibly addicting sport, one I love even more than conventional bass fishing, you will love it, just give it some time and lot of patience when you are starting out. Do yourself a favor and get a lesson, read up (check out "Master the Cast" by Steven Lessons)
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Cast-Casti ... 0071449000

and most importantly practice, practice, practice...

I know you said around $100 for a combo, but honestly you are really limiting yourself and you may not enjoy it with a rig that cheap. If you can spend a little more I would go with one of these Ross combos, which are a great bang for your buck and they are one of the best companies in the industry with lifetime warranties on the rod/reel :whistle:

http://www.rossreels.com/outfits/essenc ... tfits.html

for $275 you get everything you need to start, go with the 7/8 outfit for bass ;)
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 pm

DUZBASS wrote:Ohhh daniel, you are getting yourself into a world of pain my friend ;) $100 combo and few fish later you will be looking at buying a few $700+ rods and $300+ reels... seen it plenty of times as I managed a fly fly shop for a few years... It is an incredibly addicting sport, one I love even more than conventional bass fishing, you will love it, just give it some time and lot of patience when you are starting out. Do yourself a favor and get a lesson, read up (check out "Master the Cast" by Steven Lessons)

I know you said around $100 for a combo, but honestly you are really limiting yourself and you may not enjoy it with a rig that cheap. If you can spend a little more I would go with one of these Ross combos, which are a great bang for your buck and they are one of the best companies in the industry with lifetime warranties on the rod/reel :whistle:

for $275 you get everything you need to start, go with the 7/8 outfit for bass ;)
:lol: :lol: 275 isnt bad. I am gonna borrow my buddys and see if I like it first though.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:25 pm

DUZBASS wrote:Ohhh daniel, you are getting yourself into a world of pain my friend ;) $100 combo and few fish later you will be looking at buying a few $700+ rods and $300+ reels... seen it plenty of times as I managed a fly fly shop for a few years... It is an incredibly addicting sport, one I love even more than conventional bass fishing, you will love it, just give it some time and lot of patience when you are starting out. Do yourself a favor and get a lesson, read up (check out "Master the Cast" by Steven Lessons)

True about starting out. I landed a few Steelhead on a cheap 5 wt setup this Fall and was hooked.. I'm now using a 7 wt 10' Hydros from Orvis ($525 retail) and an Access IV reel from Orvis ($159 retail) It really is an addiction.... :P and I use it more than my spinning rig down at the river. I find myself watching quite a few movies on casting and fishing techniques for fly anglers, it's great and very informative. Having a buddy or two that is into fly fishing is a great thing as well. I've learned a ton from fellow fly anglers around here. Good luck and enjoy!

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:23 am

Matt wrote:

I'm now using a 7 wt 10' Hydros from Orvis ($525 retail) and an Access IV reel from Orvis ($159 retail) It really is an addiction.... :P
Now you're talking. I'm obviously biased, but, have a play with a Helios matched to a Mirage reel, you'll be blown away. I run a few Helios, my go to combo is an 8'6" #4, with a Mirage #2. However, I'll soon be posting details and pics of my latest stick that I bought yesterday, a 7'6" #1. Watch Show & Tell.

Still, my recommendation for a beginner to the art would be a 9' #5 with a matching reel. This is the best optimum for learning to cast. A mid flex will be more forgiving if timing of the cast is off, a tip flex will punish you for mistakes. I'd start off with flies in the #12 - #14 range, casting large flies will frustrate and come with practice.

If you are right handed try to have any breeze blowing from behind and from the left, this will keep the flies from catching your head, vice versa if you're a lefty. Always wear a hat and eye protection. Last season I had a gold head shatter the lens on my Costa's, better that though than loose my eye.

Lastly I'd say don't buy cheap. As the old saying goes, " Buy cheap and you'll buy twice" .

Mostly though, just enjoy.

Simon

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:38 am

Hi ecu daniel 14,

Fly fishing is a specialized style of fishing and it requires reasonably good equipment that works together. Your fly rod, line and leader have to be balanced in order to cast the size and weight of flies you want to use. When you buy a very inexpensive outfit and then try to teach your self how to cast, you never know if the problem is you or the equipment. You can save yourself a bunch of grief if you have a friend or local store that can help you. Someone who knows how to cast can save you a lot of time and frustration. If you only have $100 to spend I would use it to get some casting lessons. This will cut down your learning curve a bunch and you will have someone to answer your questions. The instructor will have several rods and setups you can try. If you buy a really cheap outfit you will out grow it in no time and your initial cost will be lost. If you live close to a fly shop that is the place to start. Don't buy any outfit or rod unless you cast it first. Just about any Orvis Fly Shop offers lessons and will let you try the rods before you buy.

If you send me a PM I will give you a link to a Fly Fishing Forum that will be a big help.

Frank

jerrylo913
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jerrylo913 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:20 am

Nice info here just what I was looking for!

jerrylo913
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jerrylo913 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:20 am

thanks fellas!

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:10 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:Hey guys,

Ive been fishing for awile now, but still havent tried fly fishing. I love ultralight fishing its pretty much the most fun way to catch a fish IMO...but of course I havent tried fly fishing..yet..

Just curious if you guys had any ideas on a good "beginner's" fly rod/reel/line/flies...mostly fishing for bass, but of course its whatever bites.....

Any advice is welcome as well :D

Been fly fishing for 20 years now, mostly for trout but plenty for bass and inshore. The best value rods you can buy are made by TFO, the exact model/spec will depend on where and what you plan on throwing. My go-to bass setup is a 9ft 9wt, same rod I use for redfish... but I fish a lot of grass for bass, I'd use a 7wt if it was more open water. As others have said, the best money you can spend will be on a professional teaching you the ropes. Often times it's the difference between sticking with the sport or not... casting gear might take an hour or two to really pick up, fly fishing will take many more hours of muscle education and timing.