Rod for Smallmouth

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod for Smallmouth

Post by Katron » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:18 pm

I am planning on putting a fly fishing combo together over the winter and have a few questions. What weight should I choose for nymphs size 4 - 2/0? Is a specific length better for nymphing from a kayak? I am rather inexperienced at fly fishing with my only experience being pond fishing bluegills/small bass for a summer or two and one guided trout trip. I have always enjoyed fishing nymphs when I fly fished and would like to make that my focus. I am planning on buying a kayak this fall and desire to do most of my fly fishing from this platform. The streams I fish are all relatively large with river fishing thrown in once in awhile. Thanks

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Rod for Smallmouth

Post by Mattman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:45 pm

I'd go with a 7 weight.

I don't kayak fish but I do build a few rods for yak fisherman and I see guys fish both long and short. Personally, I feel you need the right rod for the fishing...not the boat.

I'm a 9' fan. And I know a lot of guys like the length for all the necessary mending.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Paul W
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul W » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Matt has a good rod suggestion....a 6 to 7 weight is about right for a lot of Smallmouth fishing. A 2/0 nymph is abnormally huge and something I have never seen before. There are some large stonefly nymph patterns but I have never seen any in an "ought" size. Large nymphs will certainly catch Smallmouth, but do not limit yourself to just fishing them. Streamers and various topwater patterns are highly effective for them on a likely more consistent basis. Since you are newer to the sport, I would opt for a 9 foot rod with a medium-fast or fast action. Those actions will be easier to cast for you and still have enough power to push out a bulky fly. The 9 foot length will be good for keeping back casts off the water when in a kayak, and aid in line management while nymphing. A very nice rod at a good price that was recently discontinued is the Redington RS4 7 weight. It is light and casts extremely well. Match it up with a Redington RISE reel, and some 6 or 7 weight RIO Mainstream or Bass taper floating line, and you have a great combo for under $300 if you shop smart. Keep checking the site every week for upcoming fly rod reviews that might interest you! Hope this helps...

Paul :big grin:
TackleTour Contributing Editor <*)))><

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:43 pm

A 2/0 nymph :shock: :shock: . A tyical Pike fly is only 4/0 and is cast / launched via an 8-10wt.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:12 pm

For most warmwater fly fishing I think the best rig is an 8' 6wt. In fact, I think the Scott Warm Water Special is just about the perfect smallmouth rod, especially when teamed with a Rio Smallmouth line (truly great design for water/air temps over 45 degrees). You could just as easily gravitate to a 7 or 8 wt, but keep in mind most contemporary rods are better off overlined by one size (in fact many lines are overweight from their labeled size to compensate). A slightly shorter rod will provide better accuracy and, for the most part, warm water fishing is an active line sport and not a deadstick technique as with drifting nymphs for trout or steelhead. In addition to the (rather expensive at $625) Scott, look at the Redington Predator, Sage Bluegill (don't let the name mislead you), or the Loomis Stalker. All are superb choices.

Save money on the reel. Get the absolute best line you can find (it will be over $70) and get a rod that feels just a little heavier than you expect. And definitely look for something with a medium-fast, moderate action. Bass fishing is about moving mass with accuracy, not casting for distance with maximum line speed. Saltwater rod designs are a poor fit most of the time.

Good luck!

Joe C.
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:48 pm

cornmuse wrote:Sage Bluegill (don't let the name mislead you)
I will be getting that rod with a Sage 1810. Sweet combo in hand!

Matt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:05 pm

I think a 7 wt would be your best bet. It's beefy enough to toss some bigger flies, yet soft enough not to feel like a broom stick while throwing some smaller flies. I personally think casting a longer rod is easier (My 10' 7 wt Hydros casts itself) but then again, it also has great line on it, SA Sharkskin line. Since you'll be in a kayak, moving and fishing water...I don't think you'll need a "long" rod since you probably won't be trying to launch flies over 50 feet. I think an 8'6" would be just fine, maybe a 9'. IMO your reel doesn't need to be top of the line. Orvis' Encounter Large Arbor is an inexpensive large arbor reel that is relatively light and has a great drag system for the price.

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:42 am

Let me say firt that I've been fly fishing for 40+ years and kayak fishing since '06. But I'm not crazy about fly fishing from a kayak. I use the kayak more as a water taxi to get to places I want to wade or fish crom rocks and gravel bars. most of my in-kayak fishing is bait casting or spin. Why? Because sitting on your butt at water level is not an optimal way to fly fish. I have a kayak that enables standing but I only fly fish occasionally that way. Anyway, see how you sitting on your butt with your legs in front of you and the line in your lap, with reduced range of motion for casting, hauling and stripping. Don't get me wrong. I know at least one guy who does it all day. But I know more who found it less than optimal. that said I'm going take a contrary view from Matt and say you DO want a longer rod--10 feet--if you're going to be on your butt at water level. Much easier to keep the line airborne.

For this check out the TFO BVK line of rods which have received glowing reviews. They're super light, another plus for this application. I have the 9' 7 wt and if you told me it was a $500 rod I wouldn't have blinked an eye, but they go for $260. Incredible value. I also have the 8 ft Sage Smallmouth. Like someone else said the "Bluegill" model would do the job too. But I wouldn't recommend these short Sage rods for sitting and casting; that's my take on it. They're great to use for jumping out of the boat to fish a spot for bass because you can get a line out very quickly. It'll also cost almost as much as two TFOs.

flyfisher
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by flyfisher » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:44 am

I'll chime in and say a 7wt is a great weight rod for all around smallmouth fishing. I personally use a 9' 7wt sage XP and also the sage bluegill rod for my smallmouth fishing.

Both are great rods and can be used from a kayak pretty easily. I actually prefer a shorter rod when in the kayak so as to reduce the breakage potential and i also find it easier to cast the shorter rod. I will probably pick up another of the sage bluegill rods and their smallmouth rod and move the 7wt to chucking big streamers for brown trout........