Need fly rod and reel suggestions!

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
forrestd
Angler
Angler

Need fly rod and reel suggestions!

Post by forrestd » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:18 pm

I'm looking to spend about $200 on a solid combo. 9 foot rod, 5 weight line, medium action probably. I'll be using it primarily for trout fishing, secondarily for panfish/bass fishing. I don't imagine I'll be catching anything over 5-7 pounds. I've been looking around different sites, and I'm looking closely at G. Loomis and St. Croix combos. They seem to be the most liked and recommended. I thought I'd check here to see what you guys have to say.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

David

Heavy Doody
Angler
Angler

Re: Need fly rod and reel suggestions!

Post by Heavy Doody » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:20 pm

I've been hearing very good things about Elkhorn Fly Rods lately, and they are in that price range.

Not sure if there's a place you can go to test them, other than your local outdoors show. They seem to make the rounds to all the major shows.

chavez
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chavez » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:22 pm

I'm sure if you google for TFO (Temple Fork Outtfitters) combos you'll find some in or under the $200 range (rod, reel which is usually a Okhuma, backing and line maybe). I have two of the TFO Professional series (a 5wt and 8wt) and like them a bunch for the price.

forrestd
Angler
Angler

Post by forrestd » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:21 pm

I went down to the local fly shop to see if I could find any of the brands you guys mentioned. I ended up walking out with a new Sage fly rod and Ross reel. :D I spent about $100 more than I had planned, but I figure it was money well spent. ;)

chavez
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chavez » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:33 am

While I haven't tried them I neglected to mention that Orvis sells a complete fly rod/reel/line combo for $149 to $159 as well. Orvis makes pretty good quality stuff but I haven't personally used that combo.

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:33 pm

Look at the Echo rods designed, built, and sold by Steve Rajeff, 15 time casting champion and a world class multispecies angler. An excellent line of rods for the money.