TICA and Okuma fly reels

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Brookie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

TICA and Okuma fly reels

Post by Brookie » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:15 pm

Guys, ever since I have started fishing, fly reels has always
been simple and expensive. I know many of the older guys
like me will always stick to what we have been used to
for many many years just because we don't want to change.
Anyways, today there are Okuma and TICA fly reels
that are dirt cheap. I mean, anyone can afford to buy one.
But how are they compared to Ross, Tibor, Bauer, etc?
Let me know.. maybe it's that day where I change
and purchase one. thanks!

JackLivesHere
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: TICA and Okuma fly reels

Post by JackLivesHere » Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:25 pm

Been using the Okuma Integrity on longtail tuna here in Oz. Not big stuff only around the 20lb mark. Have it spooled with a Striper IV 10wt - hasn't let me down yet and yeh like you said CHEAP even in Aussie dollars. :D
The Tibor's, Ross's and others are beautiful reels but pretty much out of my reach at this stage ($1200 + Aussie), can't justify it when the reel I have does a fine job.

THEGAME
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by THEGAME » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:13 pm

I have two okuma Integrity reels. One I use for flats fishing and a 10/11 used for surf fishing.They are very good reels for the money.As good a drag as I have ever used.Just like any reel they need washing well after saltwater use. If the truth was known they are made by the same ppl.Tica and Okuma.Just like Tica, Tsunami, Okuma, Ocean Master surf rods. And they are as good as an other for 1/3 the price.

Jerry Priebe
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jerry Priebe » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:06 pm

Hey Brookie: eangler.com has a sale on Okuma Intergrity as I write. I just recieved my two and compared them to my son's Able, Ross, etc. He is a fly fanantic and after looking them over said WOW----115 for both reels and 10 for shipping. One half the price of his spools, now I won't say they are as good as a 600 reel but for 57 apiece---that's a no brainer. Good Luck and hope they have the size you need.