Need some recommendations - fly rod

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Big Fish Addict
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Need some recommendations - fly rod

Post by Big Fish Addict » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:38 pm

I'm looking for a quality 8 weight fly rod that fits the needs of a beginner. I plan on fishing for salmon, steelhead and carp. At the moment the rod I have in mind is a 4 piece Temple Forks Outfitters Lefty Kreh series 1 rod. Here in Toronto, it costs $240 before tax. I'm willing to spend no more than around $250 (In Canadian $)...I think in American it's about $180-190. Is this a good rod?

What other rods are in that price range that I should consider looking at? A 4 piece is a must with all the traveling I do on the subway.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

chavez
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Need some recommendations - fly rod

Post by chavez » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:37 am

Temple Fork are excellent fly rods for the money. I don't think the Series I comes in anything but a two piece though. I have two of the Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Professional series that comes mostly as 4 piece with a couple as 6 piece rods. I have the 8 wt and a 5 wt. They are awesome rods. So are the Series I. BTW, in American dollars you should be able to find a Series I for less than $100 American and the Professional should be found for around $140 American. Are you thinking of the high end TiCr Lefty Kreh for around $199 American? I wouldn't recommend the TiCr for a beginner since it has a pretty fast action. Either the Professional or the Series I would be better for a beginner with the Series I being the most forgiving but not 4 piece that I am aware.

Big Fish Addict
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Big Fish Addict » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:21 am

Thanks for the reply...I was shown this rod at the tackle shop by the owner. Don't know anything about fly fishing...I'm just looking for a quality piece that I could use for many years without having to upgrade. He recommended this rod. It was certainly the cheapest he had in stock.

I'm not really sure that it was a series 1 rod...It was the cheapest Temple Forks rod he had in stock.

The blank is gloss green, silvery reel seat...Don't know if that is much help to identify the rod in question.

Thanks again for any help you can give me.

chavez
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chavez » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:37 am

That sounds like a Series 1 but it seems twice as expensive as one here in the states.

If you want to buy one online, check out http://ezflyfish.com/tefoflyro.html . The prices for the TFO Professional ($139) includes a nice rod tube and shipping is free. This is where I got my TFO rods and other gear like my Simms waders. Nice shop.

chavez
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chavez » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:45 am

Dang! I just read they don't ship international. Sorry. I'm sure you can look around for better prices if you like the Series I. I have several good fishing buddies who have them and like them as much as some of their other fly rods and customs.

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:01 pm

Might look at the Echo fly rods also, they are at http:// http://www.rajeffsports.com. Medium fast actioned rods.

Heavy Doody
Angler
Angler

Post by Heavy Doody » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:43 pm

Sage FLi are about $250 American.

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:35 am

look at house of hardy or greys rods! http://www.hardyfishing.com