Can someone tell me....

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Can someone tell me....

Post by Papageno1791 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:18 am

Sorry GH, but Orvis is rather cheap, not in terms of monetary cost, but in terms of leadership in the cane rods industry. It is like recommending Lamiglass or something like that as the ultimate graphite bass rods. I mean, Orvis is not bad and in fact it is quite popular, but an Orvis bamboo rod wouldn't make you feel exclusive. Lots of anglers out there are carrying bamboo Orvis rods, maybe not that special edition one, but in general I don't see why someone would spend that money on an Orvis rod when you have better rod makers. Moreover, Orvis has never made a significant contribution in the bamboo rod making arena.
Go with the House of Hardy or with H. L. Leonard for elite bamboo rods 8-)
Last edited by Papageno1791 on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
---- Catch & Release -----

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:24 am

DUZBASS wrote:IMO- Tibor makes the the best reels out there, and they truly are for the enthusiast, beautiful to look at and the apex of performance. http://www.tiborreel.com/
I agree!
Tibor reels look great. Expensive, but unique. I just bought the Riptide (golden) and it is already at my house in Mexico. I will pair it with a UFM Shooting Boron (the link at the bottom). I am getting the 8-9 wt for fishing in the flats in Mexico (saltwater fishing). Pictures of the combo will be available as soon as the rod arrives 8-)
Attachments
Riptide.jpg
Riptide.jpg (51.11 KiB) Viewed 10308 times
Last edited by Papageno1791 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:47 am

I am still looking for this BEAUTIFUL reel in the picture below, but I cannot find it. Can someone recognize it and tell me where I can purchase it?
Attachments
rod_6294.jpg
rod_6294.jpg (40.35 KiB) Viewed 10299 times
Last edited by Papageno1791 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:02 pm

EvenPrince Charles uses Hardy rods... this one looks cool http://www.hardyfishing.com/index.php?if=view&pid=167
http://www.youtube.com/user/zvejyslt

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:07 pm

da house of hardy #1 wrote:EvenPrince Charles uses Hardy rods... this one looks cool http://www.hardyfishing.com/index.php?if=view&pid=167
I tell you, Hardy rods/reels are for the elite 8-)

You get this rod in 3 wt paired with this reel and you'll have one of the best trout combos in the world.
Attachments
Hardy_reel.jpg
Hardy_reel.jpg (11.01 KiB) Viewed 10280 times

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:15 pm

Nautilus wrote: BUT, I want quick satisfaction so a boron rod will be soon in my hands........any suggestions? You'll have to be very descriptive since I know nothing about this stuff. Thanks for the help, again!
What do you fish for? Saltwater or freshwater? Which species?
If you want a Boron rod, go with Winston in the USDM. If you want a JDM rod, then go with UFM.
I fish both FW and SW using fly gear (I am not addicted though), and after looking for a unique SW rod, I found it with UFM. At the beginning I thought the red color was too weird...but then I found that Tibor reel that would be the perfect match. I can't wait to hold that combo!
Attachments
UFM.JPG
UFM.JPG (7.19 KiB) Viewed 10270 times

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:11 am

kingsriverrat wrote:Keep in mind, bamboo can be very light.
Actually, graphite and boron fly rods are significantly lighter than bamboo. Weight is an additional price to be paid for experiencing the extremely soft presentations achieved with a Tonkin bamboo rod.
If you are going to buy a cane rod, make sure it is constructed with Tonkin bamboo. Other kind of bamboo cannot provide the soft presentations of Tonkin bamboo and the blanks are heavier.

Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by 555 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:35 am

I am still looking for this BEAUTIFUL reel in the picture below, but I cannot find it. Can someone recognize it and tell me where I can purchase it?
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking the boards for a while, and finally have something to contribute ... :cool1:

Papa, I believe the reel you are looking at is a Ukrainian titanium reel ... the Megoff MDS LA Ti. Should be available in 3 sizes (3-5 wt., 5-7, and 7-9). Slightly heavier application reels (8-10 wt. and 10-12) are also made, but their styling is a tad bit different. If you're still looking for one, PM me an I can point you in the right direction.
Attachments
megoff_front.jpg
megoff_front.jpg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 10210 times

mRVA
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mRVA » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:08 pm

And what about Ari 'T Hart reels? An Ari ‘t Hart design is the only reel on permanent display in the Architecture and Design Collection at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. The new Trilogy looks nice :P

Or maybe Ari I

Yes Sir, I can Boogie!

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:12 am

555 wrote:I've been lurking the boards for a while, and finally have something to contribute ... :cool1:

Papa, I believe the reel you are looking at is a Ukrainian titanium reel ... the Megoff MDS LA Ti. Should be available in 3 sizes (3-5 wt., 5-7, and 7-9). Slightly heavier application reels (8-10 wt. and 10-12) are also made, but their styling is a tad bit different. If you're still looking for one, PM me an I can point you in the right direction.
PM sent!
:welc:

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:26 am

mRVA,
those Ari 'T Hart reels are sick!!!
The Trilogy, at $3,300.00 retail price, makes the Evergreen Opus-1 spinning reel look cheap (regarding price). Only 200 untis are going to be built, then the model will be discontinued. Considering that practically you have 3 reels in one, the Trilogy seems to be "normal" priced for high-end titanium fly reels. But, honestly, I'd prefer buying 3 different high-end reels with that money.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Mon May 16, 2011 12:57 pm

I second the Charlton reels and recommend Thomas & Thomas fly rods, like Winston but for me a slight upgrade.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Sun May 29, 2011 3:19 am

Gentlemen,

For 'boo rods, surely these are the ultimate. Definately on my shopping list ;) .

http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/jn1lfe/rod/rod_english.htm

Paul W
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul W » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Time to revive an old post :mrgreen: For me, my personal "ultimate enthusiast" setup would be:

Reel: Abel Super Series reel in Peacock Bass color
Rod: Sage ONE rod

Lots of high end setups but that one just does it for me =D>

Paul
TackleTour Contributing Editor <*)))><

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:07 am

IDK, I sold my last Abel to get another Hatch. :D

I haven't tried the ONE but I sure like the NRX in 8wt & 9wt. I've got the 1 piece Hardy ProAxis right now that I'm trying. Pretty sweet rod.