cabela's pt combo

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

cabela's pt combo

Post by quantum angler nt » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:20 pm

Hi everyone,

As of today I am well stocked with fishing lures. I looked through my inventory to see what I could use the most and I decided on a new 6 wt. fly rod. I am going to save for the cabelas pt/drake combo for fishing smallmouth, largeouth, trout, and carp. I pretty much want an all around rod. What do you think of the combo? My budget is around $250 clams.

CTFisherman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: cabela's pt combo

Post by CTFisherman » Sun May 29, 2005 10:25 pm

I have the pt combo. I bought it about 3-4 years ago. I have used it since then, and it has been a great rod. The kind of fishing I'm getting into now though requires a much stiffer rod. The PT series is a medium action rod, meaning it flexes a good amount. The heavier the fly you plan to cast should dictate the kind of action needed in your fly rod. I have a lot of trouble casting a bulky streamer from my PT series rod because of its action. So now I'm upgrading to a much stiffer fast action rod. Its a great rod for the price, but you should stop to think about what kind of flies you plan to throw. If its mainly dries and smaller nymphs then this is a good rod to go with. But if its bigger flies you might want a faster action rod.

baby583
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

One thing

Post by baby583 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:47 pm

CTFisherman wrote: I have used it since then, and it has been a great rod.
IMO there is just one thing you are missing... I'll PM you about that.