Fly Fishing for CARP! YEE HA!

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fly Fishing for CARP! YEE HA!

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:42 am

Hey Duz you sure are a well rounded angler, is that a winston rod in the second picture? Good to see others like carp rather then refer to them as JUNK fish, and they are our golden bonefish.

Corey

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:48 am

Ya thats a Winston, I fish those rods a bunch esp in the lighter line weights. That one is the 9' 6wt WT awesome rod. Ya the carp get a bad rap, they are sport fish and they dont eat garbage, they actually eat about the same stuff as trout. I am a carp addict and Im not afraid to show it, got 2 big carp decals on my truck.
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:51 am

I regularly fly-fish for carp. They make an excellent fly-rod quarry. I use large nymph and small crayfish patterns. Sometimes they can be taken on dry flies.

They are underrated as game fish. They are a lot of fun to fish for and to catch. Sometimes you have good days, other days you can see them moving but I can't catch them. It's good sport.

One thing I disagree with is the often stated comparison to bonefish. Anyone who has ever caught bonefish in shallow water will be able to tell you that a carp is not in the same league as the bonefish as a sport fish. Bonefish are uniquely fantastic. That said, the sight-fishing methods used for bonefish also apply to the best of the fly fishing opportunities for carp fishing.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:41 pm

Questor wrote:I regularly fly-fish for carp. They make an excellent fly-rod quarry. I use large nymph and small crayfish patterns. Sometimes they can be taken on dry flies.

They are underrated as game fish. They are a lot of fun to fish for and to catch. Sometimes you have good days, other days you can see them moving but I can't catch them. It's good sport.

One thing I disagree with is the often stated comparison to bonefish. Anyone who has ever caught bonefish in shallow water will be able to tell you that a carp is not in the same league as the bonefish as a sport fish. Bonefish are uniquely fantastic. That said, the sight-fishing methods used for bonefish also apply to the best of the fly fishing opportunities for carp fishing.
you havent tried fly fishing for them on the great lakes yet, it is almost identical to bonefishing, shallow flats, sight fishing from flats boat or wading, plus carp get a whole lot bigger, and I think they (the big ones) are probably harder to catch than a big bone.

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:06 am

Duzbass:

Thanks for the tip. Which of the great lakes are you referring to? Is it the same basic information as in the book "carp are gamefish"?

I'm still skeptical, though. I've caught lots of carp up to about 30 pounds in lots of different water and none have yet to even remotely compare to even a smallish bonefish of, say, 4 pounds. The sheer speed of the two long runs is amazing.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:46 am

ill give you speed, but the lake michigan carp are the most powerful freshwater fish i have fought, maybe the colder water? Lake Michigan has the best water for carp that I know of, up around door county on the peninsula is my experience, awesome rock/sand flats, huge fish. I have heard that the Michigan side has some awesome stuff around Traverse City. Give it a try, greatest challenge in freshwater fly fishing, I think

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:46 am

Duzbass:

This has set off involuntary spasms in my casting arm! I live in Minnesota and am now itching to try the carp fishing in Door county. Do you happen to know whether a typical 14" aluminum boat with 15 horse motor is seaworthy in that water? Thanks for the tip.

By the way, this area was written about in a book called Carp Are Gamefish.

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:50 am

Another question: Is wading during summer an effective technique for this water, or is a boat necessary? Thanks. Dem carp are a lot closer than dem bones.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:21 pm

I'll help, I think the boat will be alright for a clam night or day, but for the most part these great lakes can get pretty ugly in a wind. So if you are traveling a good distance to fish here then a back up plan should be in check. Wading will work in the summer but the best time to pursue the carp would be the spring when they prowl and spawn in the shallows.

Corey

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:14 pm

If you fish the lake side a boat would help, but there are some areas you can wade, check out rowleys bay... i like the green bay side, lots of good water, can get out of the wind a little better, all the harbors and bays can hold fish, I have seen some 40-50 lbrs up at gills rock, though its a little to deep for effective fly fishing. I would stick with summer months, june, july, august being the best. They dont eat when they spawn, but they will hang around prespawn and postspawn, just like bass, but the will hunt the flats from late may through september. crayfish patterns seem to work best. You really want that water temp up in the 60s, if not the 70s.

If you are going to stick in the harbors your boat will be ok, but DO NOT GO OUT, that lake will kick your butt in a hurry, I have had a lot of close calls in an 18ft deepv with a 90 horse, like close to death kind of stuff because the storms kick up so fast. 10-12 footers are not fun.

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:48 am

Thanks.

If you haven't tried bonefish yet, it seems like you're a good candidate to try it. Although I fish a lot and prefer flyfishing most, and fish for larger fish, I still haven't had a freshwater fish take me into the backing of a fly line. With bonefish it's zzzzzzzzzzzzzip 100 yards of backing gone. Then you bring the fish in close and it sees you. Then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip 100 yards of backing gone again. That and they're much more beautiful in person than in photos. The brilliance of their silver is memorable.

I've found that Cozumel is an excellent destination for it's affordability. Air fares are low, it's cheap to stay there. Last time I went the whole trip with 3 days of guided fishing cost me about $1600 all inclusive including meals, airfare, tips, hotel, taxi, everything. The fish run small, at 3-4 pounds but there are lots of them and they sure don't seem small when you get one on a fly.

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:50 am

I should have mentioned that I went in the off-season. June. It's cheaper that way and the weather's really nice.