need advice on a reel

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

need advice on a reel

Post by vArm » Wed May 02, 2007 11:39 am

I'm looking into getting my first Fly Fishing outfit and can use some advice on the type of reel that best suits my needs.

Something for a mostly saltwater, partly freshwater.
I do most of my fishing around NYC for stripers and blues.
I do plan on doing some freshwater flying this summer as well and would like to avoid having to get 2 set ups.
-$200 budget. Looking for a reel only.

Nickk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: need advice on a reel

Post by Nickk » Wed May 02, 2007 1:21 pm

I think you're going to have to up the budget a little and get a Lamson Litespeed.

FK
Angler
Angler

Post by FK » Wed May 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Consider used reels, check out the bulletin boards and hang out in fly shops, many FF like to upgrade or change reels when the newest is introduced.

I agree you budget is a little light for new reliable saltwater reels.

Regards,
FK

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Wed May 02, 2007 2:49 pm

thnx for the response, say I up my budget. What am I looking for and at what price

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Thu May 03, 2007 7:00 am

It's going to be tough getting a dual purpose fly rod if when fresh water fishing your going to be targeting our local streams for trout.. That's a bold move to start right off the bat fly fishing in the ocean.. are you fishing from the beaches or from a boat.. It's tough casting from the shore in winds and getting the fly out far enough.. My wife got me my first fly fishing set up and it was 9# Sage and a Islander Reel, she knows I like to go to Sandy Hook and thought salt water set up.. I returned it for a 5# that is just light enough to fish the rivers (Beaver Kill, West & East Branch of the D, Main stem etc..) and local ponds for LMB and SMB...

If you have your heart set on a salt water set up then I would go with 9# rod.. for the budget look for a combo Rod at that weight that comes with a matching reel... If your fishing from shore may I suggested a striping basket as well, and obviously a insulated waders..

Fly fishing is extremely addictive... Fighting fish of all sizes on the right size fly rod is unbelievable.. Best of Luck with your venture let us know how you make out...

Nickk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nickk » Thu May 03, 2007 8:12 am

vArm wrote:thnx for the response, say I up my budget. What am I looking for and at what price
WOW! I just looked at prices on the new Litespeeds, too much.

Check out the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor Big Game, that'll keep you close to your budget.

Clicky