outfit for new fly fisherman

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
ppdbass
Angler
Angler

outfit for new fly fisherman

Post by ppdbass » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:23 pm

I'm interested in getting into fly fishing but not sure what outfit to get. After doing some reading I think a 4-5wt, 8.5-9' rod would suit my needs. I'm looking to spend around 100-150 usd.

Bass Pro Hobbs Creek

Redington Crosswater

St. Croix Triumph TK865.2

I've really got my eye on the St. Croix as I have one of their spinning rods for bass fishing and love it, my only concern would be the reel. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: outfit for new fly fisherman

Post by backcast » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:43 pm

ppdbass,
What do you plan to fish for? What size flies / bugs / streamers do you think you will want to cast? These questions will determine what weight line you need to use. The line will determine what weight rod you need to match to.

A 4-5 weight is great for panfish, and on the light side for bass. Can be used for bass, but you may have more success throwing bigger flies with a 6-8 weight.

If you spend $150, I would spend $70 for the rod, $40-50 for line, and the balance on the reel.

If you spend less, I would reduce the rod and reel cost proportionately and still spend the same amount for a quality line.

There is no substitute for a good line. There are decent rods available for $50 -$75. Reels are not that important until you get into species that really test a drag.

ppdbass
Angler
Angler

Post by ppdbass » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:06 pm

Actually panfish and smaller bass are my targets. Really just looking for an outfit to get started and once I get more experienced upgrade to a better quality rod or line when I can appreciate the difference.

tunnelengineer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tunnelengineer » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:54 am

Check cabelas online. I bought a St. Croix premier 5 wt 8.5 footer for $50 last month. Heck of a deal. That's half price of what they sell in store for.

ppdbass
Angler
Angler

Post by ppdbass » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:41 am

Actually I jumped on that deal as well. I have a St. Croix rod for bassing and didn't want to pass up the oppurtunity to get a Croix fly rod. I will be pairing it up with a Bass Pro Hobbs Creek reel for $40 unless someone can recommend something better in that price range.