Best Fly Reel Poll

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.

Who makes the best fly reel?

Abel
13%
Galvan
5%
Hardy
5%
Bauer
8%
Ross
13%
Old Florida
No votes
Sage
8%
Loomis
3%
Other
46%

Total votes: 39

justgopen
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Fly Reel Poll

Post by justgopen » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:22 pm

Who makes the best fly reel hands down. Based on quality, design, and performance?

Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best Fly Reel Poll

Post by Gideon » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:24 pm

You forgot Van Staal. Their c-vex totally sealed drag is a thing of beauty.

Carpbell
Angler
Angler

Post by Carpbell » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:26 am

I have a number of fly reels and while I do like Abel reels they are really overpriced. The new Galavan reels are qulaity, and while I have had Abel's give me trouble my ross reels never have.

Jchoppas
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jchoppas » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:01 am

I don't fly fish much but my brother does, and all he runs are Winston rods paired up with Ross reels. He tells me that they are the best reel for the money. He has had problems with Bauer's cork drags breaking up.

Shimanoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimanoman » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:46 pm

Is there any reason that Tibor reels have not been mentioned??Regards,-Shimanoman

Shimanoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimanoman » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:37 pm

Another 2 marques which are conspicuous by their absence are the venerable and,dare I say it , ever popular Pflugers and Penns. Was this just an unhappy oversight, or a deliberate snub?? Regards,- Shimanoman

CTFisherman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CTFisherman » Sun May 29, 2005 10:34 pm

I just bought a new Ross Rythm fly reel. Its in the moderate price range of around 200 dollars, but it is an awesome reel. The drag is made of delrin, is self lubricating, doesn't fluctuate from heat or cold, and is a relatively baisc reel that just has an awesome drag on it. Its lightweight, over an ounce lighter than the other reel I was considering (the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor), and has a larger arbor than most standard fly reels to retrieve line VERY quickly. I love it, and now I'm a diehard Ross fan.

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:54 am

I have two of the Abels one a 3# and one on a 5#, a Ross & Ross on a 3# and I just picked up a Charlton 8350 for my new 4#. I was told these Charlton's are now limited due to the company being bought and are going up in value. I haven't tried it yet, looking forward to trying it out on the West Branch in Deposit NY (just up past roscoe) I had my Abel bind last year and lost a huge brown. The guide shop took it apart and couldn't find any line, dirt, leaf etc... in the drag. We looked closely at the cork for any memory impressions, can't figure it out. I mostly fished this year's trip with the R&R and landed a 19inch Rainbow and 21 inch brown both on the 3#. No problems, drag worked great. Planing on going to VT soon, water here in NJ is too warm.

DJ

nirrad
Angler
Angler

Post by nirrad » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:01 pm

I'm a fan of my Lamson reel myself

tibor01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tibor01 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:20 pm

For me its a hard decision between Abel and Tibors. I can't believe Tibors weren't in the list. I have 2 Abels, a Super 5 and a Super 8 (in custom camo colours, man they look awesome) and I also have 2 Tibors, an Everglades and a Freestone. The quality of Abels and Tibors is simply brilliant.

Aaron

Heavy Doody
Angler
Angler

Post by Heavy Doody » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:39 pm

Elkhorn is the only reel I will own.

gq
Angler
Angler

Post by gq » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:52 pm

Well, I do not know if I should vote [ I did though] since I do not have much experience with those listed reel companies with the exception of three; hardy, ross, and abel reels. They are good reels, I see them in the shop from time to time. But only one that holds up in the conditions I've seen but I like my reels better.

I have a couple orvis reels and a scientific anglers.

I have been using my orvis reels extensively. I know they aren't ranted on much, but they have yet let me down. I own a [old school] DXR and a Mach. I have yet had a bonito or tunny on the line to test out the drag to the full extent but I hope to do so. [ Only fly fish saltwater, trout I think of power bait] [oh forgot I fly fish for salmon too but that doe not involve a 5 weight for me, so I guess I fly fish 8 wt and up; may change my mind this coming spring]

So yeah I like my Orvis reels. They have yet failed me in performance and quality. The warrenty is great too. As for service well I think that is dependant on locality and personality. And I work there too.

My scientific angler system 2 reel is great too, but in the end after 6 years of abuse it is not performing above the level of which I need it too for the since I learned to fly fishing with it and age and dropping it around has retired it.