Bass Pro Shop Gold Cup fly reels

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Garrik
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Bass Pro Shop Gold Cup fly reels

Post by Garrik » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:19 pm

Does anyone have a Gold Cup fly reel.Thinking of getting one and maybe one of the fly rods to.Let me now what you think.

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bass Pro Shop Gold Cup fly reels

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:57 pm

I dont have a gold cup, but I do have the classic series reel for my 5 weight, nice reel for 100 bucks. What are you gonna use it for?

Corey

Garrik
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Garrik » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Looking at a Gold Cup III and a 9wt rod for inshore fishing and if that works well maybe a IV and a 12wt.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm

to be perfectly honest I would never trust one of BPS reels for any saltwater fish. Those reels are just a quick burst away from complete failure. I haven't fished one, but I know a thing or two about reel design and construction and these are on the bottom. They would be fine for something like bass fishing, but that first red, snook, tarpon or whatever you are chasing is going to punish you. I recommend two things, save your money for a Tibor (no better made and more durable reel on the market and almost maintenance free, or buy a Ross reel, a rhythm or CLA would do you much better than one of these in that price range. The new ross momentum is a killer reel as well as the tried and true canyon big game, now replaced by the momentum.

And as for their rods, I feel even worse about them. BPS does not put any time or money in R&D or construction, their soul purpose is the bottom line. Please take my warnings seriously, I am not a gear snob, but I do believe in spending a little more money once, rather than not being happy and spend less money more than once. The Sage Fli or even the launch are much much better rods, with a great warranty. I have fished just about every brand of fly gear and thats where I base my opinions just so you don't think Im spouting brand names off the top of my head.
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS